Guitar speakers for a home stereo system?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by ChorusCrackpot, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I know that guitar speakers are "lo-fi" which works great for guitar sounds, but by definition is not hi-fi at all.

But I have a couple of spare guitar speakers and am wondering about using them for a small home stereo system (or in the car), maybe to act as a subwoofer or so guitar sounds in recorded songs will sound more warm and "crunchy".

I also have my father's old JVC quadrophonic hi-fi stereo system from the 1970s that still works well to this day. It is 40 watts RMS per channel (of the top of my head) with a really clear loud sound.

2. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Here's a frequency response graph of a Celestion V30, pretty typical of guitar speakers:
    [​IMG]

You can, if nothing under 100 Hz and over 6 kHz matters to you haha

Jeff Scott and 2016aug29 like this.
  3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Subwoofers and guitar speakers are far from the same thing. In fact, most drivers used for bass guitar would be used as mid-range drivers in a PA. When a bass player plucks an open E string, what we're hearing is more the 1st overtone than the fundamental and that's 82.4Hz. Still sounds pretty low, right?

4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Thanks for the responses. This old speaker I have is some unnamed speaker, but I think it's a Peavey brand speaker. 12", 8 ohms, has a massive magnet like the Electro Voice 12L speakers. So it's just a little home-project thing. I'm not overly fussed with the fidelity.

For a while I used my Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp as a hi-fi stereo stereo system for the television. I thought it sounded great! I could put chorus on EVERYTHING!

5. doc

doc Member

This thread confirms that you chose your member name wisely.

I will say that I did incorporate a couple of Eminence PA speakers on open baffles as part of my main system, so "non-HiFi" speakers can be used, but as stated before the frequency response for guitar speakers makes it problematic.

I'd probably just rock the old JVC stereo for now and use the guitar speakers for guitar stuff.

yeky83 likes this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Thanks for the confirmation. :D
    My main system speakers have been open baffle types since the late '80s. Great sound! :aok

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Buck Owen's favorite playback system was a blackface Twin Reverb with two JBL D120s!.

8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

For sure,, and Altec 417 series speakers, used and prized by many guitarists, were used in a lot of Hi-Fi cabs, and the 421 series, used in bass cabs, were standard equip in the Voice Of The Theater cabs for many years.
    The caveat being that the cab and its "tuning", if you will, were much diff from a typical guitar cab.
    There is nothing "Lo-Fi" about those speakers.