Guitar stand for 6 or more guitars? I'm looking for options and opinions from folks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by echo unit, Jun 23, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

If you have any knowlege about any manufactured products that are designed for holding or standing up 6 or more guitars, i would love to know about it. i am looking for something that will do the job well and not look to ugly either.

I often see touring guitarists that have their own guitar tech guy with these really awesome multi-guitar box stand unit that looks more like furniture than a guitar stand and that probably travel in a huge flight case or something. Where can I get someitng like this for my studio to hold all my guitars in one place.

Thanks for any help here and for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

2. corgiears

corgiears Member

3. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I have one like this, if not the same one. I don't use it anymore because I am now able to hang my guitars on the wall but it worked great and didn't damage the finish on any of them in the few years I used it.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RSTRS7

I think those fender ones are alot cooler lookin though, but I didn't know about them when I got mine.

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    You're looking for the Ultracase:
    http://www.ultracase.com/

The come in models for 4/6/8 guitars.

I finally scored one (a GSX-8) on Ebay this spring after looking for a used one for over a year. During that time I only saw 3 used ones (GSX's) for sale, which to me says the owners like them and keep them.

[​IMG]

And I've never seen an Ultracase Guitar Vault for sale used:

[​IMG]

Expensive?
    Yes, even used.

But I'm always bumping into stuff and knocking it over just walking through any room. So it's not nearly as expensive as having even one guitar damaged on a conventional stand, not to mention bumping one guitar and having it fall over and knocking over 7 other guitars on conventional stands. For my needs, the GSX was a great combination of sturdiness, weight, and mobility. I suppose if you had the need for a more permanent installation in a studio though, you could build something similar to a Guitar Vault if you would never be moving it.

Total pro quality. Looks to me like it would last for years on tours, so it should last a lifetime if you're using it in a studio.

5. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

I'm on a similar search. The Warwick looked perfect and inexpensive, until someone pointed out that the bodies of the guitars can twist and hit one another. Not good.

I bought a Fender case stand - works great for me.

I'm curious about the Ultracase, but I don't really need one now that I have the Fender, and it works well for me.

Lavely

6. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

If it's for your studio and is not for touring, why not just hang them?

I think keeping them off the floor is generally a good idea. I got a scrap of slatwall and some 'string-swings'.

[​IMG]

7. wstsidela

wstsidela Knottsferatu

Thanks!!! I've been looking for these cases.

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I bought two of the 9 guitar stands from this guy on ebay, great pieces, solid oak, I fabbed a stand out of 1" square steel tubing and just cut and mig welded it in my garage. Some flat black paint and it was done. The guys website used to be guitar-stands.com but he stopped making them. He made them in walnut, oak and cherry I believe, I wish he still made them I would buy another 8 or so.

TheGrooveking

[​IMG]

9. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

this may be spam but i just put a warwick 7 guitar stand in the emporium. It worked well for me when i had it and i never had the guitars move on me and touch each other but you could knock them into each other if you aren't careful

those oak stands look great!

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I've got one of those Rockstands made from the padded tubes- It's great, but it doesn't seat my Thunderbird all that well. I've had no problems with the padding eating finish- most of my guitars are nitro finished.

[​IMG]

11. Tillamook

Tillamook Member

I use two Hercules tri stands.

12. woof*

woof* Member

i bought the fender case/stand. it works great and im thinking about a second one.

[​IMG]

13. Anode

Anode Member

14. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

+1000 for ultracase. They will last a very long time, are reliable and have proven to be the pro industry standard.

15. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

16. scottlr

scottlr Member

Wow, do you think have enough gear behind those stands? And I assume that is just a small view? Damn! Nice stuff!

17. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

I have a seven-guitar padded tube stand like the one pictured below. It requires a little care to make sure the guitars don't bump each other, but once placed on the stand they tend to stay put. The one annoyance I've had with it is, the way the tubes are positioned, some guitars with jacks on the edge of the body can only fit in one orientation if plugged in---look at the picture; if some of those guitars were facing the other way, the jack/cord would hit the back tube. In the orientation that fits, the strap has to go on the inside, which can result in straps and instruments getting tangled up, especially after a few have been removed and replaced.

The stand is good for storing a lot of guitars close at hand in a small space, and that's mainly what I was looking for so I can't complaint. But it's not so good for switching quickly from guitar to guitar. If you have a roadie backstage getting your next guitar ready for you that's one thing, but I wouldn't want to have to negotiate this thing quickly on stage. And I still use one regular stand for the "active" guitar.

Many of the problems I have with it can be avoided if you only load every other slot.

[​IMG]

18. scottlr

scottlr Member

Wow, do you think have enough gear behind those stands? And I assume that is just a small view? Damn! Nice stuff!

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have one like this, too. I like it fine, and I actually don't worry about the bumping into each other as each one has a few dings already. Not that I abuse them, but I no longer gingerly put them away like I did when they were brand new.

20. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Actually, all these issues are a problem with any of the stands being discussed IMHO. Face it, with the guitars that close together you have to be careful fitting a guitar back between two others. None of the stands are really intended for the cord to stay in place IMHO. The Ultra's sure look nice, but damn...$500 is a lot. The Warwick is real good value and folds up light and compact.