guitar stereo sucks...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, Jun 4, 2008.

guitar...mono or stereo...one amp or two

1. mono, one amp

2. stereo two amps

3. mono, two amps

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I usually play through a drri and a peavey classic, using a boss stereo reverb (rv-5) for stereo...

last night I played for a few hours through the drri only and then the classic only...mono of course, and man it was so much better tone, clear, both amps are vastly different and the differences are more appreciated...

granted the two amps might not be right choices for stereo,,,maybe a vox and a drri is a better match, but I am digging my tone now more than ever with a mono set up...

who else prefers mono over stereo??

2. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

mono, But i would use 2 amps if i was using two different guitars with different pickups. (like one for Singles, one for Hums). i have tried joint mono but didnt think it added anything.

AJ

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

I've been running in stereo for 25 years: Two Bassman heads or two Traynor YBA-1A heads into a stereo cabinet with a stereo chorus. Although I play mono through other of my amps from time to time I couldn't live without my stereo rig.

4. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Just rediscovered how much i love stereo rigs.

Used to run Hiwatt/Vibrolux quite often when i was younger.
    Now, i just started tuning in a Vox AC15cc/ Maz 18 duo. Maz set with more gain and brighter, Vox with the master up, cut down, and more bass. The reason i tried it in the first place was that i wanted the Vox trem, but couldn't go without my Maz. It's worked out better then i ever would have expected so far, but i really don't want to have to lug the Vox to a gig. Heavy!!

One more stereo rig: my Mini Z/silverface champ. Not too shabby!

cheers.

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Check your phasing
    Between the amp and the speakers
    between the fender/peavey's amp circuitry
    and lastly between the 2 outputs of your processor.

6. 88mm

88mm Member

I run a Fender 75 on the left and an old Sunn Model T on the right. I have my CE-20 and DD-20 running stereo. I have a Dry signal going to the Middle via Laney AOR 50. I really like it. Sounds Huge and yes loud.

7. 88mm

88mm Member

Yes correct phasing is a must.
    Mine sounded thin and just bad. Come to find the polarity in my speaker cab was wrong. Switched it back and BOOM! Night and Day difference.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have come to love the dimension and width of two small-ish amps, rather than one larger amp. It's addictive once you get used to it. I can't imagine one mono amp sounding better than 2 (mono or stereo) unless some phase issues are at hand...

:dude

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I experimented with running a DRRi and a Velocette off a stereo delay. I set the DRRI for warm clean with headroom and the Velo to break up when I dug in. It sounded fantastic.

10. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I run stereo on my clean side, mono from the speaker-outs of my Plexi.

After the Plexi, a THD hot plate (line out) signal goes to a TC Electronic G-Major for an after-the-power-amp stereo FX setup.

The stereo image and tone are huge. I would never go back to using a mono rig - at least on the clean side.

Having the FX stereo allows you to do some interesting things like ping pong delays, etc.

11. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I run a Vox AC30 and a Fender DeVille and they complement each other VERY nicely. I get the chime and upper frequencies from the Vox, but I still have the beef and the headroom of my DeVille's 6L6's.

12. improv4

improv4 Member

Ah, mono it is; I can't afford a second amp just yet. Someday it'd be nice to experiment though.

13. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I'll never go back to MONO unless i'm just jamming , then I do a paul into a plexi kinda thing, but once the pedalboard is envolved its either 2 heads/ 2 cabs setup or 2 2x12 combos, chorus,delay,flanger & most modulation effects produce a more textural sound in stereo vs mono setup where most modulation effects sound bland.

Ping pong delays, slap backs and pans are disorienting :)

14. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Every once in a while, I dream of being able to play live in stereo. But for practical purposes, I stick with mono.

15. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI for big gigs I use a Marshall Bluesbreaker linked to a Fender Super Reverb best of both worlds. I used a Bassman and a Vibroverb but sold those amps. Always in mono situation. Back in the 80thies I had 2 Marshall 50 wat stacks with a Boss Digital Delay in stereo, when I switch the DOD250 on I was the only one on stage so loud and full sound, mind you 2x50 Watt Marshall with 18 12 inch celestion speakers, very very loud :)
    Peace Strat58

16. bynt

bynt Member

I likes them in stereo with a lead boost on one of the amps. It's really addictive but the lugging of amps gets really old!!!

17. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

That said,
    For gigs, you must remember MOST PA's are mono, and you need to have a plan for the soundperson: which cab to mic because if you mic both and sum them, you may get...(wait for it) PHASING issues!
    Most soundmen would like your 2 amps as close together on stage as possible.

18. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Are you on drugs? Where to you play!

It is an issue though, turning up and telling the soundman you need two (two!!) of his precious channels! and sometime phasing is a major issue live. But I like it! My left amp is a Sovtek MIG50 with a boogie 4x10, and right amp is a G&K ML250 combo.

I find the trick is to keep effects pretty subtle, other wise it sounds like the 80's . . .

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

yes I was on drugs...I dont gig...play in my basement....I went home and played through JUST my drri again, then I played JUST through the classic and adjusted the amps eq a bit...then I re-ordered a few of my pedals to get the stereo input/out put pedals last (boss flanger-line 6 echo park, boss dd20, boss reverb) and played stereo again and I enjoyed it, especially the stereo flanger...

maybe I jumped the gun on "stereo sucks"...but It doesnt hurt to just play through ONE amp every now and then

20. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

IMHO, stereo is great but in moderation. it's the contrast that makes it sound so great. I like stereo for rhythm work because the width seems to open up space, and mono for solos for the focus and punch.