Guitar storage (cold weahter outdoors)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Matybigfro, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

Me and the wife have recently had to move in with my mother (partly due to my wife going back to uni) and partly because my mom's recently started getting treatment for breast cancer and she's on her own adn could do with the financial support as well as emotional

Anyway things are little tight in the house now and i don't have room for diy pedals and changing pickups in my guitars so I@m thinking about buying largish shed
    i'm gonna put a work bench in there and some power for plugging in amps
    i figure the amps will survive there but i'm worried that it will be too cold in a shed outside esp in the winter for my guitars most are in hardcases some are in soft

what are your guy's takes on this

2. phantasm

phantasm Member

It really depends on where you are. If you're in Texas or Florida or another warmer climate, you'll probably OK. If you live in Buffalo, New York or Canada or something...well...

3. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Depends on where you are located, North Dakota vs Florida.

You could get one of those oil filled things and keep it around 50 at all times when you are not in there.

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Regardless of where you are, you will probably have daily temp swings. I'd rather not subject guitars to extremes. A shed will get hotter during the day and almost as cold at night.

5. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

DOn't leave your guitars outside in a shed- you are definitely asking for trouble. Temperature and humidity swings will definitely adversely affect your guitars.

6. jaycee

jaycee Member

If it's going to get down in the 30's i'd say forget it.

7. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Theives will adversely affect guitars as well, by stealing them out of a shed...

Keep the tools and amps in the shed, guitars underneath your bed man...

8. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

+1 It's not worth risking the damage that will ultimately occur.

9. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

thanks for sharing your thoughts much appreciated
    i'm in the uk so it will probably not be so much temp swings for the next six months more likely cold and colder, and i'll only heat it when i'm in there
    i think i'm gonna put my cases out there and buy those wall hangers and stick my guitars on the wall in my office

10. Maxer

Maxer Member

If you're in the UK another thing to watch for is the dampness. Good idea to keep them on wall hangers in your office, provided you can keep a fairly consistent climate happening there. Watch out for especially when it comes to acoustics and semi-acoustics; solid guitars aren't as sensitive to fluctuations in heat and humidity but in the end they're all subject to damage if you're not careful.

11. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I wold stay away from climate extremes.

Your suggestion of hanging them on the wall is a great idea!