Guitar store in LA with good selection of pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lareplus, Feb 24, 2012.

1. lareplus

lareplus Member

Going to be there in March, might be fun to cruise through. Mainly going to be in Anaheim, Pasadena, etc. rather than the central city. . .

I like looking at vintage gear too. .

2. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

It's on the Westside, and will most definitely be a pain to get to from Anaheim or Pasadena, but how about True-Tone in Santa Monica - pretty good selection, if I remember correctly. Does anybody know if Analogue Haven still operatie a store-front in Pomona ?

3. inhuman

inhuman Member

I think it's still there but has a new name. I loved that joint

4. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

Last time I was at Westwood Music Center they had the whole Empress line.

http://www.westwoodmusic.com/

Plus they have some badass guitars and the staff is really friendly.

5. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

+1 on Truetone in Santa Monica. They probably have the best selection of pedals in the area.

6. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Member

Yep, Truetone, has the best pedal selection in LA, although; a little hard to hear a pedal's subtleties, unless you can audition one in an amp room.

7. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

There is a store in San Pedro called Alva's that has a lot of unique pedals.

8. louderock

louderock Member

The Amp Shop/ Bass Exchange on Ventura Blvd

9. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Tone Merchants in north hollywood has giant pedalboards filled with boutique pedals to try out.

10. morbid

morbid Member

you might wanna go to the LA city anyway... for this is my hometown..

1-McCabes on Pico Blvd. full of vintage gear used/refurbished plus lots of wierd stuff you'l never see anywhere else... (close to the coast..rather more on the west part of the st.) very big store full of surprises..

2-Sunset Blvd- tons and tond of small boutique shops, major retailers of new/used, pawnshops and small time vendors, a true gearhead haven!
    the main concentration is from Fairfax ave. and east...

2-there are many more but this is a good start,,

there must be more stuff more inward (not the city of la itself..) but i can give my .02$ from my experience...

11. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

I heard that Future Music on Sunset has moved to Highland Park - they had some cool vintage stuff. Highland Park is pretty close to Pasadena. Black Market on La Cienega is long gone right?

12. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Harbor Music in Redondo Beach has a lot of pedals, and Scott, the proprietor offers super service. He's happy to plug in anything and can intelligently discuss the similarities and differences of lots of pedals.

http://harbormusic.net/about-us.aspx

Plus almost across the street is El Burrito Jr. which has some phenomenal and reasonably priced Mexican food. Another two blocks west, you can visit the mighty Pacific Ocean. So if you get this far south, and you should, it's less crowded, and very pleasant, check it out!

13. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

^^^

+1. Harbor is great.... now I'm homesick for El BJ's !!!

Alva's in San Pedro has some great stuff too.... they are also a Boogie dealer.

14. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

Given the areas you'll be visiting, your closes stores will be Harbor Music in Long Beach and Tone Merchants in Burbank. Harbor Music is good, but I don't remember their pedal selection being gigantic. Tone Merchants has a more extensive collection. But if you can make it out to Truetone in Santa Monica, you'll find the most expansive selection. That's going to be your best bet. Westwood Music also has some nice stuff as does the Amp/Bass Exchange. There are a lot of guitar dens here in LA; it's a great city for gear enthusiasts.

15. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Mesa Boogie in Hollywood has some boutique stuff.

16. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

+1 on all of the above!

17. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Member

+1

Tons of amazing pedals here...they have a lot of them on pedalboards, so you can try literally a hundred pedals in a half an hour or so and A/B them with your amp or a similar one. I walked out of there with a Tonefreak Abunai2 and Severe.

18. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I've never heard of Harbor Music. Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

19. iama

iama Member

They have expanded the store and now it's the nicest shop I've been in.

20. Modulator

Modulator Member

The Bass Exchange in Sherman Oaks has some decent pedals. And you can try to call and get an appointment with Big City Music which has a lot of esoteric pedals and gear. Analogue Haven is still around, but no store front. Noisebug took the space, decent selection, but quite a drive. I haven't been there, but there's a store that opened up in Long Beach called Dawn of the Shred. Most the stores that were cool around Guitar Center in Hollywood closed up or moved. Futuremusic is cool, but not as cool as it used to be.

Truetone might be your best bet for a decent selection. They just expended a few months ago, I think about twice as big as they used to be.