Guitar stores in San Antonio?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomkatzz, May 8, 2008.

1. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

I'm in the market for another guitar. I want something USA made that won't break the bank.

Are there any user friendly guitar stores in San Antonio?

2. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

Crazy Kat's or something like that was a cool little shop.....don't remember where it was.

I ended up buying my 50th amse strat at Hermes Music....kinda like a Guitar Center, but it seemed nicer somehow....even let me put it on lay-away. They had three, with two still unopened in the shipping boxes and let me open them and pick which one of the three I wanted.....AND gave me a price better than everywhere else I had found.

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

As a fellow San Antonian , Go Spurs Go!

There aren't many offerings here in SA for the "good" stuff. A little drive to Austin would yield some way better selection of the goods.

But these are your choices:
    • Guitar Center - bought out the great Hermes Music chain and was personally employed there
    • Sam Ash - the "other" big box
    • SpaceTone - probably the "coolest" store offering in SA with decent selection of vintage and a few decent lines; Orange, Victoria, Blockhead; I've got a couple buddies that work there
    • Krazy Kat - mainly used gear; personally haven't been there in a really long time; reminded me of a huge garage sale last time I was there
    • Alamo Music - small local chain; only decent brand they carry worth mentioning is Taylor and its usually a decent setup at the Babcock location
    • Century Music - use to be have some decent stuff and has been around for a while like some of the ones mentioned but has slowy drifted out of the retail thing; they moved locations several times so who knows where they are now; only premium line worth mentioning is Mesa but for how long...I think they are pretty darn close to 0% retail and sticking to backline rental which is their bread and butter.
    I would hit up Austin and get to Guitar Rez for the cool booteek stuff. I got my London 65 and a few other things there. Talk to my buddy Michael.

4. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I ran that guitar dept for the final few years, price was never an issue and honestly we tagged slightly below MAP on most of the gear and still did deals on the good stuff.

Hermes did majority of their sales Pro Audio.

5. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

So I guess it got bought up by GC....that blows.....

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The Sam Ash and Guitar Center are in close proximity to one another in the NE quadrant of the city.
    The people were pleasant enough but I found the prices seemed higher than I'd found at similar locations in different regions across the Southern half of the US.
    I'm not afraid to stop on a road trip and buy a guitar or amp and throw it in the car, and I spent a while in both places, but I wasn't close to buying anything I saw.
    I'll investigate Austin shops the next time through, for certain.

Bubbanov

7. omni

omni Member

Their used to be a place called Atomic Guitars or something like that. It was next to a BBQ joint..I doubt it is still their. Cool little shop.

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Yeah, a guy named Wayne used to own it and its been gone for a while. He used to do a lot of Takamine stuff before the G-Series line came out.

9. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

spacetone rocks. that place has tons of cool gear and you'll never know what will show up. lots of great used gear.

there's also The House of Guitars on the west side of town. I remember seeing Mesas there a while back but I'm not sure they stock them anymore. Lots of PRS, brian moore, fenders, jacksons. really nice guys there too.