Guitar Stores In San Francisco?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bicktrav, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

Going to San Francisco this weekend. Can anyone recommend any good guitar shops? Preferably ones with a good collection of boutique stuff?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. remy26

remy26 Member

Just the city of San Francisco? I've been to Haight Ashbury Music and it's got a pretty good selection.

Rocker Guitars and Real Guitars get talked about, but I've personally never been to either.

If you venture south of the City, you should definitely check out Gelb Music in Redwood City and even Guitar Showcase in San Jose if you want to go a little farther.

I think all of these places have websites if you want to research before deciding which to see.

3. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

If you are looking for boutique, you may have better luck outside the city:
    Gelb in Redwood City
    Gryphon in Palo Alto
    Bananas in San Rafael (for pedals)

Real Guitars in SF has vintage stuff.

4. remy26

remy26 Member

Ooh, I forgot about Gryphon...definitely boutique!

5. newswede

newswede Member

I was just in SF and went to a few. Was a waste of time. I've heard outside of the city is the place to go - probably around Berkley. Haight Ashbury Music? They had a (very) few items, nothing boutique. Everythings been manhandled to an extreme and the prices were in the stratosphere, but the guys running the place were nice.
    I too would have thought SF must have some great shops.

6. picknpluck

picknpluck Member

Blue Note Music in Berkeley gets my thumbs up. There are people that don't like the owner, but he's always been cool to me. In fact, I would venture to say Blue Note is one of the more hospitable guitar shops I've been to that offer a cool selection of stuff outside the usual GC crap. Also, +1 on Gelb Music in Redwood City. No matter how busy they are, they've always got time to answer your questions.

7. blownirocz

blownirocz Suppoutin' Memba Since Dem Oud Dayz... Silver Supporting Member

Also Guitar Showcase in Campbell (about 40 minutes south of SF). As others have said though, Gelb and Gryphon are musts to check out.

8. 62deluxe

62deluxe Member

You can sometimes find good stuff at The Staving Musician, stores in Berkeley and Santa Clara. Everything is used, sometimes there are deals, sometimes nothing, usually worth a look.
    Second on Gelb (and their consignment shop around the corner), Showcase, Gryphon, and Blue Note.

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

If you like Fender Custom Shop Guitars....no other store I've ever been too has the collection like Rocker Guitars. It's a Hole in the Wall.....but it's one amazing hole. They've also got some excellent amps and gear. Gelb is great too.

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

Real Guitars.

11. diego

diego Member

Not a guitar store, but if you like jazz guitar, Bobby Broom is playing a late show at Yoshi's San Francisco.

12. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, it is surprising SF doesn't have more good guitar stores. I like Real Guitars, but it is more of a funky vintage shop with a great repair service. Gary Brawer has his repair shop in-house.
    The south bay has more good guitar stores. Gryphon-Palo Alto (killer acoustic selection), Guitar Showcase- San Jose (good, standard selection of guitars amps, but with a great vintage collection to drool over), and Gelb Music-Redwood City (probably the most boutique stuff in the area).

13. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Wish there was a little more in the city rather than the outlying areas, but oh well. I'll try to check some stuff out while I'm there.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Rocker
    Gelb
    Gryphon

That's about it for me.

15. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

I'm selling a few things, but open for appointments only. :D

Here is my current inventory...

[​IMG]

16. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

Is rocker still open? last time I was there they said they were closing to become a boutique guitar builder-

they had a lot of cool stuff