• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Guitar strap length - Billy Gibbons style

deejayen

I usually play sitting down, but I'm thinking about buying a guitar strap. The one strap I have is short, so I end up playing with my guitar around chest height. Now, after watching one or two videos of Billy Gibbons playing, I'm thinking a longer strap might look a bit cooler, and might actually be fairly comfy to play once used to it.

It looks like standard strap lengths go up to around 50", but it depends on the manufacturer and the indivdual strap model. I suspect I might need to tick a box for "Extra long". What sort of strap length am I likely to need? (I'm about 6ft tall - it looks like BFG might have his guitar positioned so that the top is just below waist height).

Buhtwheat

60 to 65 inches. I'm about your size, and that's what I use. Different guitars need (slightly) different lengths.

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
I'm 6'2", not exactly thin, and I've never had an issue with a strap being too short. You should be good with pretty much any standard length strap from Levy's, Ernie Ball, Dunlop, Couch, or some other brand. It's actually a significant change when you start playing standing up. I try to line up the bridge of the guitar with my belt buckle, and adjust from there. Good luck man.

deejayen

To get the proper Bill G setup, adjust the strap, put the guitar on your shoulder while standing, and lean forward slightly. It should touch the ground.
Wow! Really? I know it looked low, but I didn't think it was that low! Or is that when standing with feet wide apart? :rockin

StJimmy

If you've never played much standing up, it can be quite a transition from sitting down, especially if you want to be a "low slung" guitar player. It totally changes the position of the instrument. Even if you get a long strap, you'll have to find your personal sweet spot.

deejayen

If you've never played much standing up, it can be quite a transition from sitting down, especially if you want to be a "low slung" guitar player. It totally changes the position of the instrument. Even if you get a long strap, you'll have to find your personal sweet spot.
Thanks for that. Yes, I'll just be experimenting at the minute, and plan to build myself up to it. I might even have to go the other way, and play with the guitar under my chin!

TB72

Billy's straps are adjustable from 60" to 65"...they is looonnnngg. (Dusty's are 50" to 55")

sunking101

I bought two straps, cut them and had someone sew the two halves together. I couldn't find one long enough off the shelf. I'm 6'5" and like to play with my guitar below my belt. Low but not Gibbons low.

bob-i

Ergonomics of playing a guitar down low like BFG is really bad. It can cause wrist problems, back and neck problems, and a host of other issues. I avoid it after some very serious, almost guitar career ending injuries.

deejayen

I can make you one this long ~

That's funny!

However, I've had a quick look at your website, and your straps look beautiful. I still haven't got around to buying a strap - I ended up ordering some strap locks, and they took weeks to arrive, and I've not had a chance to fit them yet. I'm planning to buy a strap here in the UK first to try that for size, but I'll certainly bear you in mind if I work out what I need, and want a top quality strap.

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
If I recall correctly the longest strap I've made for someone was either 65" or 67". He must have been a huge guy.
Find an inexpensive strap similar to what's in the link below that has a slide type of adjustment to help determine if you like playing with a strap and what a comfortable length is for you. A cotton strap would probably be less slippery than a poly or nylon. The comfort of my fretting hand and wrist is what determines the strap length that suits me. I wouldn't look cool no matter how low I hung it ~

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/perris-2-in-cotton-guitar-strap-with-leather-ends/j09758000009000?rNtt=cotton guitar strap&index=1

TVvoodoo

Mad Strappier
If I recall correctly the longest strap I've made for someone was either 65" or 67". He must have been a huge guy.
Find an inexpensive strap similar to what's in the link below that has a slide type of adjustment to help determine if you like playing with a strap and what a comfortable length is for you. A cotton strap would probably be less slippery than a poly or nylon. The comfort of my fretting hand and wrist is what determines the strap length that suits me. I wouldn't look cool no matter how low I hung it ~

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/perris-2-in-cotton-guitar-strap-with-leather-ends/j09758000009000?rNtt=cotton guitar strap&index=1
Great advice! For the record a couple of months ago I had a strap order for a 65"-72" max strap. I actually couldn't believe it. Testing it before I boxed it was really strange, even at the minimized length.

Trending Topics