Guitar string tension changed overnight

G34RSLU7

so wait... now we are searching for anyone that knows any good fixes for a guitar whose resonance is suddenly devoid of life?

have you considered couples counseling? I'm sure it'll seem awkward at first but it could really open things up for you and the guitar.
lol maybe i made it sound weird, but it's like the notes ring out without any life to them since this happened

sksmith66

lol maybe i made it sound weird, but it's like the notes ring out without any life to them since this happened
I wish I could help you, but if I'm being honest I don't think I can. this is what I'd do. play a different guitar for a week. put that one in it's case. take it out after a week. put a new set of strings on it. play it. if you still feel it's all wrong then take it to reputable local luthier for a setup. if that doesn't work.... get a new guitar.

Dr. Tinnitus

charvel custom shop san dimas, double floyd rose with maple neck/fretboard
How familiar are you with the setup of the floyd rose? I dont know much about them, but it seems like the floyd could be a part of it if something changed in the stiffness of the trem.

G34RSLU7

How familiar are you with the setup of the floyd rose? I dont know much about them, but it seems like the floyd could be a part of it if something changed in the stiffness of the trem.
well i've been using floyds for 7 years, never had a problem setting them up, it looks like the floyd is still parallel with the body

milli vanilli

I guess i should try straightening the neck and raising the bridge, instead of what i tried earlier (adding more relief and lowering the bridge)
My 2 cents and what works for me....If you constantly change both the string height and the relief you are gonna be chasing your tail... when you set the relief by holding down the string in 2 spots you eliminate string height... so once your guitar is set up with the action you like and then adjust to a height you like, and it suddenly goes wonky, something moved...the bridge is screwed in and hasn't risen or lowered by itself, so it is the neck. Just adjust the neck back to its sweet spot with a 1/4 turn (or less) of the truss and you are good to go... As far as losing its tone or resonance, if you are moving the bridge you also will need to intonate... and if you moved the bridge a lot you may need to raise or lower your pickups as well... basically get it set up the way you like it, then only mess with the truss (and re-check the intonation when you change strings) from here on out...

rdodson

These endless talks about string tension as though it was a mystical thing existing in the shadows of Socrates' cave drive me crazy. As was stated earlier, regardless of bridge material, through the block or out the back, break angle, etc...for a given scale length and string gauge, tension is constant if pitch is constant. Period. The world is spherical, Armstrong walked on the moon, and Elvis is dead. However, don't get me started on the Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders.

G34RSLU7

These endless talks about string tension as though it was a mystical thing existing in the shadows of Socrates' cave drive me crazy. As was stated earlier, regardless of bridge material, through the block or out the back, break angle, etc...for a given scale length and string gauge, tension is constant if pitch is constant. Period. The world is spherical, Armstrong walked on the moon, and Elvis is dead. However, don't get me started on the Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders.
there's definitely a big difference, just look at all the threads of people asking how to get their guitar have a slinkier feel.

maybe it's not tension, but i don't know what it is then

rdodson

there's definitely a big difference, just look at all the threads of people asking how to get their guitar have a slinkier feel.

maybe it's not tension, but i don't know what it is then
There are a lot of threads on faking the moon landing, the flat earth, etc. Fretboard radius, fret size, action height, neck relief etc all play a part in playability. Just don’t think it is string tension. Because it is not.

paulg

Silver Supporting Member
Well, it's April. And climate is changing so my guess is your truss rod needs a slight tweak. You don't say where you live, but I can tell you this...guitar adjustments in Florida seem to be the opposite of what they are for the rest of the country. let me explain: When I lived in my native NYC, we didn't have A/C; never really needed it. So, my guitar necks would swell with humidity come the Spring & action would get lower. In October, when the heat would come on in my apartment, it was so dry it would suck the moisture out of the neck & the action would get higher, giving the strings more tension. I would sometimes keep a damp sponge in my case, which really helped, or adjust the truss rod.
In Florida, however, the Winters here are like Spring in the rest of the country. So guitar necks fill with water & action gets closer. In the summer, the A/C is on constantly in the house or clubs, creating a dry condition, & action gets higher, which makes strings seem to have more tension. I would check your TR & maybe tweak a little, if you know what you're doing. And yes; it always seems to happen overnight.
I agree, except I find lower action to be “stiffer” when bending strings. I’m amazed how some of my guitars will change overnight and others are rock solid.

MRCHILL4

I agree, except I find lower action to be “stiffer” when bending strings. I’m amazed how some of my guitars will change overnight and others are rock solid.
Agreed. I recently bought a beautiful sunburst deluxe 2005 strat, I’m apparently the third owner. I made two very small truss rod adjustments ( neck too straight ) over the course of three days, raised the action and intonated it. Each day it has improved. Bends are much easier, vibrato is easy and fluid, and it feels slinky. I know what the op is saying. I get it.

the pitch always drops about a quarter tone overnight.
that seems odd.
i usually can throw my guitars in the bag, hotel room, van, drive to the next gig and i usually don’t have to tune anything.
same at home in the studio.
i’ve got a very newly built mandolin that does go out a bit just sitting there, but that’s the odd man out

what’s going on w/ yours?

G34RSLU7

Agreed. I recently bought a beautiful sunburst deluxe 2005 strat, I’m apparently the third owner. I made two very small truss rod adjustments ( neck too straight ) over the course of three days, raised the action and intonated it. Each day it has improved. Bends are much easier, vibrato is easy and fluid, and it feels slinky. I know what the op is saying. I get it.
i knew it wasn't in my head :D

how much did you adjust the truss rod?
Try doing a full setup.
i think i'll have to drop it off at a luthier, i have to take the neck off to access the truss rod on this guitar so i'd rather not do it myself

MRCHILL4

Hey! In all I turned it a quarter turn. Sight down the neck both directions. For me, I saw that my neck was straight as an arrow. The last owner was not into bending strings. I come from a blues rock upbringing, so I bend. Albert king and Albert Collins are my hero’s. So I bend! Don’t be afraid to do it. Of course if it will put your mind at ease do bring it in. If you do it, do not turn it more that a quarter turn at one time. It takes time for a neck to settle in. Let it settle for a few days.

G34RSLU7

Hey! In all I turned it a quarter turn. Sight down the neck both directions. For me, I saw that my neck was straight as an arrow. The last owner was not into bending strings. I come from a blues rock upbringing, so I bend. Albert king and Albert Collins are my hero’s. So I bend! Don’t be afraid to do it. Of course if it will put your mind at ease do bring it in. If you do it, do not turn it more that a quarter turn at one time. It takes time for a neck to settle in. Let it settle for a few days.
ok, i think my guitar has too much relief since the action seems to be raised a bit more, so i'll probably have to turn it counterclockwise (if i decide to do it myself, i have to take the neck off to access it so i'm not sure)

Trending Topics