Guitar Suggestion for My 5 years Son?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Loreta Bolder, Jan 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Loreta Bolder

Loreta Bolder Member

Hello Guys!

I am new at this forum. First of all, I want to tell you that I never asked from any discussion before buying anything for myself, but you know we want everything perfect for our kids. Since childhood, I was only good at singing without having enough knowledge of playing musical instruments. But my son is very good at playing the guitar (beginner level) and this came into my knowledge when his music teacher told me about it. I was in shock and also was very happy.

His 6th birthday is coming, and I am planning a surprise party for him and decided to gift him a guitar. According to my husband, we don't need to buy an expensive one and want to gift a small guitar, but I think we should gift him a regular one but under $500. Please share your the best suggestion with us. I read the reviews of guitars here but not able to decide whether I should go with any of them or do more search? Please recommend a good one.

Multicellular likes this.
  2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP. :)

It's great that you're supporting your son's musical development but a 6 year old's hands are not suited to a regular (if I'm understanding your use of this word in context) sized guitar. Would you buy him a pair of 34X34 trousers because you "think we should gift him a regular" pair of pants? Get him what fits!

BO'Dell likes this.
  3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

All of the guitars on that list are too big for a six year old. All three of the acoustic guitars below are three-quarter-size instruments primarily designed to be starter guitars for kids. They are all legitimate musical instruments rather than toys that your son can use as a stepping stone to a full-sized guitar if he continues his interest in music.
    • LX1 Little Martin
    • Taylor GS Mini Mahogany Acoustic Guitar
    • Taylor Baby Taylor Mahogany Acoustic Guitar
    All three are in your price range and should be available at local music stores like Guitar Center. They should also be available from online music stores like Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, Music 123, American Musical and zZounds. I would recommend starting your son out on light gauge strings, which will be easier to play.

If he wants an electric guitar a Fender Mustang or a Fender Duo-Sonic, which are full-size guitars with a smaller body, might be small enough for a 6 year old. However, you should definitely have him try to play one before buying it. A 3/4 size Ibanez GRGM21BKN Mikro electric guitar is also a good choice for a young child learning to play.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Loreta Bolder and jcarpenter like this.
  4. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Has he shown any preference for a type of guitar - acoustic, nylon, steel, electric? If he has, I would use that as the main guide, but agree with the other replies that full size might be too much of a good thing - but that again might depends to some extent on his perceptions. I personally wouldn't go as expensive as, say, a Baby Taylor (which I like a lot), but a "travel" size in a less expensive make like Ibanez - unless you think that he will keep it and stick with it for a long time. FWIW, I think that playing comfort is much more important than tone for a beginner, so budget for a setup regardless of what you choose.

5. sertshark

sertshark Member

I like that little miniature Squire Stratocaster. I bought the pink one for my daughter. I'm shocked how well it plays for such a cheap guitar.

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Good list.
    If he is set on electric, a Mustang sized one is good. Sure he may not be able to play all the chords yet, but there is still a lot to learn and this would be a guitar he could still play as he grows.

7. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

If you want an electric I'd get a Fender Duo-Sonic. It's short scale so it's easier to fret (push down the strings). You can also get light strings (like 8 gauge) that will make it even easier. An amp like a Fender Frontman would be fine.

If you want to go acoustic I'd suggest getting strings that say "Silk and Steel" (Ernie Ball make them, other companies as well) that make an acoustic much easier to fret than traditional strings.

8. sturge

sturge Member

I still have one of those little red Squires kicking around that I got for my son years ago. He played it for a year or so and learned the basics but moved on to sax. It still plays fine. I think it was about $100. I bought a little Marshall solid state combo amp that was <$100 to go with it...fine for a kid just starting out.

Loreta Bolder likes this.
  9. BO'Dell

BO'Dell Member

I have a 9 and 8 year old. I bought my son one of those tiny strats when he was 5. If you are buying a guitar for a 5 year old, I suggest you get a flame top les paul standard, because it is you who will ultimately end up playing it.

Loreta Bolder and filtersweep like this.
  10. JZG

JZG Member

I would suggest starting on piano/keyboard. Much easier to push down a piano key than to hold down a guitar string. Get the music background on piano, then try guitar around 10 years old, give or take a year or two.

Loreta Bolder and BO'Dell like this.
  11. Black Lodge Bob

Black Lodge Bob Supporting Member

The only answer - duo sonic. Pop some chinese locking tuners on that baby and pair with a little mustang I - killer.

Loreta Bolder likes this.
  12. Loreta Bolder

Loreta Bolder Member

First of all, thanks for your response. Yes, Fender Mustang could be a great idea. I am looking for it.

13. Loreta Bolder

Loreta Bolder Member

Duo sonic is also a product of Fender. I just Google it and it is looking perfect for kids. Especially, I appreciate their colour schemes.

Black Lodge Bob likes this.
  14. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The Mustang and the Duo-Sonic are virtually identical. There are a few cosmetic differences. The Duo-Sonic has a one-piece pick guard, a smaller 60's style Fender headstock, and the knobs and switch tip are metal. The Mustang has a two-piece pick guard, a larger 1970s-era headstock, and the knobs and switch tip are plastic. For the versions with single coil pickups both guitars use the same pickups, but the placement is a little different.

The one difference that is important is the body shape, which affects the ergonomics of the guitar. On the Duo-Sonic the middle curve below the pickups has a position that is more forward than the middle curve on the Mustang. This has no impact when either guitar is played standing up. When playing sitting down the neck of the Duo-Sonic is a little closer to the player. Because of this some players find the Mustang a little more comfortable to play than the Duo-Sonic. I recommend having your son try both guitars to see which one is more comfortable for him to play.

Duo-Sonic
    [​IMG]

Mustang
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

A Piano. Sorry, but I think any guitar would be a challenge for a 5 YO.