Guitar suggestions for 30-day camping at the beach

67 goat

I have a Jim Dandy and it would be fine, as would a Recording King Dirty 30s parlor. The Dirty 30s has a weird sound, almost like you are listening to an old, popping, crackling recording. The Jim Dandy has a cleaner sound. I wouldn't worry about either during camping.

I also have a Johnson travel guitar. It sounds good enough around the campfire, but will not have the projection of the other two. On the other hand, it's even cheaper, so I would worry about it even less.

Buying a guitar for camping is one of the few times having a laminate top will be better than having a solid top. Laminates and plywood are less susceptible to temp and weather.

Balinus

I have a Jim Dandy and it would be fine, as would a Recording King Dirty 30s parlor. The Dirty 30s has a weird sound, almost like you are listening to an old, popping, crackling recording. The Jim Dandy has a cleaner sound. I wouldn't worry about either during camping.

I also have a Johnson travel guitar. It sounds good enough around the campfire, but will not have the projection of the other two. On the other hand, it's even cheaper, so I would worry about it even less.

Buying a guitar for camping is one of the few times having a laminate top will be better than having a solid top. Laminates and plywood are less susceptible to temp and weather.

Thanks for your opinion about the Jim Dandy. :)

====

Read some reviews about the Ibanez AW54JR. Seems like a good candidate? Scale is 23.9 inch and size is a small dreadnaught. Also happen to like the visual :D (and price is just about "right").

Also read about Alvarez LJ2. Probably similar to Taylor GS-mini in size?

Mikeo01247

Maybe you could take advantage of the GC 90-day return policy.:rolleyes:
They do have a lot of guitars to choose from it seems.

I had a Yamaha guitar that I used to haul around, and wore the thing out. My beach guitar is a Tayor GS mini with no electronics. I also have a GS mini koa with the Expressions system.

The Taylor gig bags were nice, but now they are both in SBK cases.

I have played the Jim Dandy and it's a cool little guitar.
Martin has the "Little Martin" too. It's small but should work for camping.

Balinus

Maybe you could take advantage of the GC 90-day return policy.:rolleyes:
They do have a lot of guitars to choose from it seems.

I had a Yamaha guitar that I used to haul around, and wore the thing out. My beach guitar is a Tayor GS mini with no electronics. I also have a GS mini koa with the Expressions system.

The Taylor gig bags were nice, but now they are both in SBK cases.

I have played the Jim Dandy and it's a cool little guitar.
Martin has the "Little Martin" too. It's small but should work for camping.

Thanks! Taylor GS mini seems really nice. I'm gonna continue looking at used market for it.

Balinus

Found a used Fender Malibu for only 130$ US. Figured its a legitimate scenario for my upcoming beach/camping. Thanks again! I am keeping some of the models mentioned here on a GAS list.

53614486-0D07-48A3-9372-E47B68C735CA.jpeg

Last edited:

Balinus

I have always felt the Minis to be overpriced by a couple hundred $$$ for what they are. I have played quite a few, and the bass, but never bought one for that reason.
I agree that it seems that we are paying a X amount of money for a feature ("smaller").

Thanks! Over my budget sadly. I'd say I would not go over 350-400$ US. The Taylor GS-mini does check all others boxes though. Say the Baby Taylor with similar spec. A good choice?

What I like with a smaller scale is that I have 3 kids and I hope one of them pick up a guitar. So far, mine's are too big for them.
I was going to recommend the 22" scale Taylor Baby. It's very convenient for camping, and yet not a compromise guitar all. Until recently one has been my main for perhaps 16 years now. Very full loud sound (which is handy outdoors in wind or near waves).

Balinus

I was going to recommend the 22" scale Taylor Baby. It's very convenient for camping, and yet not a compromise guitar all. Until recently one has been my main for perhaps 16 years now. Very full loud sound (which is handy outdoors in wind or near waves).
The baby Taylor is certainly on my list. For this year, its gonna be the Malibu and I will grow my acoustic chops from there :)

Cheers!

The baby Taylor is certainly on my list. For this year, its gonna be the Malibu and I will grow my acoustic chops from there :)

Cheers!
I love the look of those Malibus (which is my main place to camp and want such a guitar), but 24"+ and the demos all sound kind of muffled to me. Matter of taste I suppose. I've heard people complain that Taylors are too bright sounding.

Balinus

I love the look of those Malibus (which is my main place to camp and want such a guitar), but 24"+ and the demos all sound kind of muffled to me. Matter of taste I suppose. I've heard people complain that Taylors are too bright sounding.

The sound is a little bit muffled, but I am someone that likes warm tones generally. :)

I used the guitar through my Kanata yesterday. Sound was really good! The Fishman EQ control was versatile enough.

I am happy so far!

gibson3798

Since you probably won't see the logic in buying a case that costs more than the guitar, buy an inexpensive laminate guitar and have fun.

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
Bought a case that was 1/2 the price of the used guitar price (or 15%of the guitar msrp). Good enough for me.

Thanks for the input! :)
What brand case? I only have a gig bag for mine. And am looking for a hard case but want to make sure it fits before I order it.

Balinus

What brand case? I only have a gig bag for mine. And am looking for a hard case but want to make sure it fits before I order it.

Sorry, I should have wrote "bag".

Brand is Profile. It is one made for a classical guitar and fit snuggly the Malibu. Hard case was not a solution for my use case where I might need a "flexible" case living happily with my camping gear :D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom