Guitar teacher in NYC?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Fernando, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Hi folks. First post in this area of TGP I think, nice to meet you all. After many years since I last took lessons and three years without barely touching my guitar, I decided to take lessons again. I fairly recently moved to NYC and was looking for teacher recommendations.

I play mostly rock and blues, and have very modest jazz guitar initiation (but probably prefer to leave jazz for later on). I am in interested in many different flavors of guitar music and wanted a teacher that plays really well but is also open minded (I’ve had strictly metal-oriented and jazz-oriented teachers that did not work so well for me). Manhattan location and weekend classes would be crucial.

Any recommendations? Also, any recommendations of a good tech for setups? Had a very pricey and very so so experience recently.

Thanks!

Fernando

PS: sorry if wrong forum!

2. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Jeff McErlain is a seriously cool dude and has monster playing and teaching chops, and he's right near Times Square. He's a member here and a teacher on Truefire.

I get my setups done by Matt at 30th Street Guitars, another great guy.

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

Thanks - from just a couple o videos on youtube it does seem that he's one hell of a guitar player. Will reach out to him.

Forgot to ask: does anyone have experience with NYC Guitar School? Stumbled upon it on Google and thought their facilities and ability to meet people to jam with would be a plus. Also, what do you think is a reasonable range of price per class these days?

4. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Jeff should be right up your alley. Great teacher, great player and seriously good guy.

5. Fernando

Fernando Member

Jeff really seems to be great instructor, thanks. Just to be sure, anyone has any other recommendations? Experience with NYC guitar school?