Guitar tech by mail or good luthier near-ish to Hazard Kentucky (archtop-smart)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by spiral, May 14, 2015.

1. spiral

spiral Member

I have a friend that lives in Hazard and he likes archtops. Needless to say in a town that small there are really no good luthiers or ones that are too familiar with archtops. So I was wondering if you could recommend someone near Kentucky where he could ship the guitar and get a floating pickup installed, or who is a trusted luthier that takes jobs by mail / UPS and isn't 10 states away.

Thanks!

[edit]
    Looks like Knoxville and Lexington are the nearest big cities, south and north, if that helps with geolocation.

2. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Member

RS Guitarworks is in Winchester. Talk to Scott Leedy there about having it shipped. It's about 75 miles or so from Hazard.

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I'd drive it down to Lynn Dudenbostal in Maryville, TN, without hesitation.

4. ldp1959

ldp1959 Member

Gruhn guitars in Nashville, I believe.

5. spiral

spiral Member

Hey thanks for all the quick replies! I am making a list for him and he is going to call every one of these places. If anyone else has recos in the area please let me know. He is looking to build a longer term relationship with a luthier that knows their stuff about acoustic archtops.

6. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Not this guy

[​IMG]

7. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Not what guy? Hazard is a town, in eastern Kentucky.:huh

RS is quite a bit closer to Hazard than anywhere else mentioned. If they can't do it, they'll definitely point him in the right direction.

8. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Oh, your picture didn't show up, at first.

Hazard, not Hazzard.

9. 71strat

71strat Member

I don't see why RS couldn't do it.

If Not RS send it to Joe Glaser in Nashville

I live in Eastern Ky.

10. Levon

Levon Member

Aren't there some good techs in Lexington -- if the guy lives close, I mean. Willcutt's, and what are some others?

11. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Gruhn's. Bluesman Vintage in Spring Hill, TN.

12. spiral

spiral Member

He is going to be near Willcutt's and will give that a go. Thanks for all the great replies!

13. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I'm interested to hear how Wilcutt's does. I'm about 8 miles from either Wilcutt's or RS Guitar works. I always get bad vibes at Wilcutt's and am thinking about taking a guitar to RS. I stopped in there the other day. They seem like nice guys - devoted to making nice guitars.

14. Levon

Levon Member

From much experience, I can tell you: the snob reports are absolutely true. If you can't handle "superbia" -- maybe go to RS.

However, the guys know their stuff and have done some extremely advanced jobs for me, and they did them expertly, and I was delighted. On one occasion, however, they made a blunder on an expensive setup job, of an electric guitar (involved fret work, much radiusing, you name it), and rather than admit fault and do one simple, ten minute fix, they refused and steadfastly held that there was nothing wrong, that all electric guitars have low E strings that buzz uncontrollably, that it was my fault, I was picking too hard, etc. -- but it was pure pride. I haven't been back since that, but I'm about to forgive and hope it doesn't happen again.

That I'm gonna forgive may speak to just how much I like their work, usually.

15. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Mixed results here with Wilcutt's. I've only had two guitars worked on (both were nut replacements) one was not good, the other was fine. It's been said, but I always feel like I'm inconveniencing them when I go there. I went to RS the other day and the guys were pretty damn cool and gave me a full tour of their shop. I'm not sure that their main desire is to do guitar service work, but I plan on taking a neck there tomorrow for fret levelling.

16. scott944

scott944 Member

Roger Morrillo in St. Albans, WV is top notch, and not far away.