Guitar tech for SG's in the Indianapolis area?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jammwill, May 3, 2015.

1. jammwill

jammwill Member

Anybody know of a good tech in the Indianapolis area?

I just bought an SG Special. I've been screwing around with the intonation, action, and neck relief for the past two days and I can't seem to get it right. Even when the tuner says the thing is in tune it sounds out of tune. Even when I get it to where it sounds in tune, it will slip out if you look at the damn thing wrong.

I'm getting frustrated, so I need to take it someone. I've heard SG's are notoriously hard to get set up correctly and get them to stay in tune. This is my first Gibson style guitar, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Anybody know a good person to take it to? Not sure I trust GC and the other chain stores. Thanks!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Redbell

Redbell Member

Talk to Derek at Guitarworks, he knows!

3. indyrunner03

indyrunner03 Member

I've had some iffy experiences with some area luthiers/setup guys. I'm currently giving Tom's Guitars (in Irvington) a try. Guitarworks is my next one to try if Tom's doesn't work out; which I think (and hope) it will work out based on my convos with Tom.

Derek does have a good reputation. The only reason I haven't tried him yet is because that's quite a drive from the far north side.

4. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I don't know of any guitar techs, but if you need some amp work Kevin Silva at Uncle Albert's is the best I know of. Call though, don't bother with email. And if you're a Batman fan, he may even show you his collection. It's among the largest in the country.

http://www.unclealberts.com/

5. jammwill

jammwill Member

Thanks for the responses guys! I think either Tom's in Irvington would work (I'm in the Irvington area myself) or I could make the drive down to GuitarWorks. Yeah, I've dealt with Kevin Silva at Uncle Albert's before - emailing is not the way to go with him ;)

6. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Definitely not.