Guitar Tip of The Year!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jmcerlain, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Really? This is the Tip Of The Year?

Strings get changed as needed. More often in the summer but never more than two nights on a set of strings. That goes for each guitar I take to the gig which is usually two.

Most of my house guitars get changed no less than once a month. I use to change em regardless but since D'Addario isnt sending me free strings and Ive gotten more guitars, Ive had to cut back.

Really though, changing strings doesnt seem like something we'd need as a tip and certainly not Tip Of The Year.

You have to be kinda thick to not know how or when this should be done.

2. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Yeah, this is not so hot for tip of the year. However, I changed the strings on my #1 the other day and fell in love with my guitar, amp, pedals, songs, wife, kid, dog...

3. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Supporting Member

hu·mor (hymr)
    n.
    1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
    2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
    3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd. See Synonyms at wit.

Now who's being kinda thick?

4. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Oh it was supposed to be a comedy thread? I didnt notice since you didnt use one of them cool smiley things.

I get it now. Yeah, that is funny. Good for you man, you made a bunch of us laugh.

I find it interesting that you singled me out even though most of the responses here assumed you were serious. I guess you assumed I meant you were thick though I meant "anyone" should know and not you in particular.

Or maybe Im just that thick. I will though try to work my threads so that after a few posts I can see where the responses go and then decide if I was using humor or not. :)

The smileys are your friend.

5. jmcerlain

I believe smileys should be both of our friends! :)

I did not mean to single you out. I really like this place but don't post all that much becaue I really hate when posts go south because of the often clunky method of posting, half read posts, mis-understood humor, or someone is just being uncivilized, etc. I though I was showing that I was joking by using this guy :jo in the Homer Simpson fashion. I was just pointing out that often the easiest way to make your guitar sound better is to change strings. Nothing more. Having been flamed in the past for absurd reasons, I may be a little sensitive. So all is cool on my end here in NYC.

Happy New Year and I hope it is a great year for music.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Laugh all you want but this thread has earned:

[​IMG]

Good on you, Jim!

7. jmcerlain

LOL! Too funny. :D

PS... my name is Jeff!

8. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Yes. Learn from my mistakes.

9. neastguy

neastguy Member

I'm just too lazy to change mine.. wanna teach the wife to do it.... but thanks for the reminder... :)

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

:bonkand I'm a fan! I blame it on Tylenol PM.

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

Teach the wife to do it! Amazing idea! Hmmm....but how....?

12. cram

cram Member

I changed my strings a few days because someone came over to play and their guitar had new strings - I was dull sounding on my guitar. I'm sure there's a commercial in there like the "bitter beer face" ads.

Anyway - yes every time I do it I feel better about the sound from my guitar.

I play thicker guage strings - 12's at the top on my strat (detuned a half step) so they seem to last a bit longer without breaking, although - I have broken a few. Most sets last me a few months. I keep them clean and try to get the most out of them. I usually have a milestone trigger a change. A gig or a jam of sorts, I'll change if I know it's been a while.

13. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Its all good man. I really just thought it sad that there might be folks who didnt realize that they needed to do this. LOL

All this did though was make me go check out all of your websites and stuff. :D:beer

14. neastguy

neastguy Member

I dunno, but I taught her to clean out the gutters 2x a year

15. jmcerlain

My plan worked perfectly!:Devil

16. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

this thread is making me want to change mine before a show on friday.
    guess it wouldn't be a bad idea.