Guitar tips you wish you would have been told from day one.

hyperplanes

We can compile them all in this first post! I'll start:

#1: Keep your guitar cable receipts. Fender, Planet Waves, Mogami, Monster and tons of other companies have lifetime warranties on them. If it breaks, you send it back, show proof of purchase (sometimes they don't even ask for that) and they send you a new one. I know a lot of people who just throw bad cables away, and if you're buying expensive wire then it adds up over the years. Unfortunately, this mostly works only in the USA and Canada.

If you enjoy playing, resist the urge to spend time shopping. Playing more will make you happier than shopping will.

If you want a Fender, buy a Fender. Same goes for other brands including amps.

Another: Amps sound different at low volume than high. Don't bother fighting it.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
I actually was given this tip early on, but it took a while to sink in: work on your sound. You need to have a sound that you like to hear and that can work in a recording studio. If there is something about your tone or your playing that's bothering you, fix it.

Don't waste your time with crappy gear and understand that the way you approach playing is even more important.

This is a fundamental concern and will make a big difference in your overall enjoyment of playing music.

mrmatt1972

- listen more than you play in a band setting
- if you can't keep time when you're playing it, you can't play it
- after you've strung your guitar and tuned it the first time, give all the strings a little yank to seat them
- different picks (thickness, material, shape) can make as big a difference on your tone as any expensive piece of kit
- spend more on the amp than the guitar every time (2:1 ratios work well)
- wipe your strings off when you finish playing
- learn how to maintain your guitars (it's easy)
- the bass player is easy to replace and gets the fewest women (I started as a bass player)

LanEvo

Work on your vibrato
Pay attention to timing
Learn to play songs all the way through...not just the bits you like to play

whatdisay

Platinum Supporting Member
for years I really had no idea how valuable a good, run-of-the-mill set-up was from a tech who knew what he/she was doing, or how valuable some minor adjustments to the nut and bridge could be.

so I guess what I wish I'd been told on day one is "don't be afraid to look ignorant--find people who know what they're doing (and aren't assholes about it) and ask questions"

SPROING!

Get yet damn guitar set up! You don't need new tuners, you need a nut that doesn't bind.
(But go ahead and get the tuners anyway because they look badass!)

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Start by understanding major scales and chords, then go to learning pentatonic scales (and anything else you want to know).

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Learn the connection between sheet music and guitar. If you stick with tab and don't apply what you now know about reading staff notation to the guitar, then after you've stopped playing horns, you will completely forget how to read staff notation .

PS don't quit playing trombone.

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
It will take longer than you expect to get decent callouses on your fingers. Play until they hurt, then try it again, hopefully more than once a day. Once you get callouses, everything gets much easier.

guitz

Finally affording a more expensive guitar will still not make you sound like your favorites players :roll

Trending Topics