Guitar to laptop ???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kimock, Jan 21, 2008.

1. kimock

kimock Member

I'm not a computer guy, and my teenage son wants to import some guitar sounds to cut up into his ambient mix stuff.
    What's the quick and dirty answer to plugging an electric guitar directly into a laptop?
    Don't need anything too fancy, just want to get the job done.

Thanks guys!

peace!

2. DaveF

DaveF Member

I use a line6 toneport to practice. Would be a cheap way to do it. You can get the ux1 for around $75 on ebay.

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

For something quick and dirty, you might want to look at Stealthplug

http://www.stealthplug.com/

Works on both Mac's and PC's and I believe the company is bundling Amp and Effects plug-ins for use popular recording software.

If you're on a Mac, GarageBand is bundled for free. PC's are another story...

-KD

4. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

With the CompUSA stores all going out of business, I just picked up the M-Audio Fast Track USB interface for like $69. I has a switchable mic (XLR) and 1/4" instrument input, headphone jack for monitoring and comes with basic recording software - nothing fancy but you can use the interface with other programs as well.

5. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

sometimes musicians friend has the m-audio jam lab for $29.99. that is the cheapest way i've found to get my guitar into the laptop and then use plugins to alter the dry signal to taste.

6. karmadave

karmadave Member

Oh yah. Forgot about the M-Audio Jam Lab. That's a very good, inexpensive choice. I picked up an M-Audio Fireware Pro, on eBay, for about $100 and really like it too. Works great with GarageBand and I can also use it with ProTools if I ever take the plunge...

-KD

7. Mixotonic

Mixotonic Member

Hi Steve, those are all good choices. Really you should consider what type of audio interface will work with the laptop. Typically for a laptop it would be USB,Firewire,and PCMCIA. I can almost guarantee that the laptop has at least one USB port and USB interfaces can be had for really cheap. The laptop may have a Firewire port as well and these can run the range from really cheap to pretty expensive. PCMCIA could also be another alternative for you if the computer has such a port but those are pretty expensive.

The above posters have given you some good choices for cheap USB audio interfaces that should get a guitar signal direct into the comp with a minimal amount of fuss. I like the Presonus Firewire stuff because I've had real good results with them and I like that Presonus supported Vista with an older product(Firepod) that at first only supported XP. And they were one of the first to get working Vista drivers out.....that really helped me out when i upgraded to a new laptop for recording that came with Vista.

Anyway check out the various solutions from musiciansfriend.com. You can sort them by the type and or price or brand at the left side. Best of luck!
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navi...1&Ntk=All&Ntt=computer+audio+interfaces&Nty=1

8. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've been using Cakewalk Guitar Tracks (about 100 bucks) and just plugging my guitar (or pedals) directly into the computer's microphone jack. No fancy adapter, and the results are very good and the editing possibilities on Guitar Tracks are endless.