Guitar to Midi Converters?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Blue Strat, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm interested in using a guitar for a synth controller.

Anyone have a favorite converter that tracks well?

I see there are several boxes that do this. Does anyone make a software app that runs on a PC that's any good?

2. trinidad

trinidad Member

I'd love to know if there was anything that did this. I'm much more comfortable playing guitar than a keyboard, so if there was a way I could use a guitar with soft synths that would be great.

3. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

Iv,e been useing the old "Roland GI-10 Guitar Midi Interface" for years to play into my computer. I use a MATON JB6 guitar fitted with the old roland midi pup to trigger hard and soft synths and it works fine once youv,e set everthing up. I mainly play finger style for midi guitar. On my SoundClick page there are no keyboards even the drums on two tracks are played on guitar. If you read the blurb for each track you will hear a lot of midi guitar.

4. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

The 13 pin system is the most viable one left these days. You'll need a hex pickup with a 13 pin output on the guitar (Roland, Axon, Graph Tech, RMC) and a box that converts that to MIDI (Roland, Axon).

I've got a Brian Moore with an RMC system installed, and I use a Roland GI20, which has a direct USB connection to the computer. I'm kind of jonesing for an Axon, since you can set up different pick zones and have a lot more flexibility just from adjusting how you play.

You should be aware that even though the systems have gotten a lot better over the years, I've yet to play a system that didn't require some adjustments to your playing. You also have to spend some time tweaking the converter to your playing style. I definitely prefer boxes where I can store a few settings, so I can have single note, chords, fingerstyle, etc. ready at the touch of a button.

5. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I use an old Ibanez with a Roland pickup into the GR33, which has midi out. It tracks well enough and once it is on the computer, easy to edit.