Guitar Trade Woes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by templar03, Feb 28, 2015.

1. templar03

templar03 Member

Hi everyone

To make a long story short, I traded my guitar for another guy's guitar (with some top up) and the other guy wants to undo the trade after a week because he doesn't like what he just traded for.

He did offer a 2 weeks grace period for me (if I didn't like his axe I could trade it back with a refund of the top up) but I didn't agree on anything on my part.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Is there something actually wrong with the guitar or does he just not like it?

3. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

I think once the deal is done, it's done... But, if i were a super nice guy I would probably trade it back, and I if wanted something I traded back, I would want (not expect) the other person to trade back... But everyone is different...

4. templar03

templar03 Member

Oh, the guitar is perfectly fine. We met up and inspected each other's axes before we went forward with the trade itself.

His rationale for undoing the trade was that -

1. He didn't like the actives in it but didn't want to spend extra cash to swap them out for passives.

2. He didn't like how the floating bridge wasn't giving him enough sustain.

This is the first time I've actually traded anything so I'm kinda in a dilemma on what to do. With that said though, I really like his axe which I traded for haha.

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Do you like his guitar enough to cough up funds to buy it outright?

Small chance the guy just wanted an extended test drive.

6. RG955TT

RG955TT Member

Deal is done and over if he inspected the guitar in person. You want to trade back do it, if not, deal is done, trade is a trade once you guys checked the goods and agreed to the trade and took each others guitar.

7. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

hmmm..... tough since he went into the deal knowing that your guitar had actives and unless he never had a floyd that sustain may be an issue. i mean floyds can be set not to float so that kinda solves that issue and as for the pickups well that's on him. none of that is really a reason to undo the deal in my book. trading is always a crap shoot so having a clear understanding upfront is needed. i think when he agave you the 2 weeks it was implied that he could undo the deal as well. he probably should have been more specific.

8. Jaan

Jaan Member

A deal is a deal. He inspected it, and it's done. The I don't like how it sounds is BS. Not your problem. You never promised it would turn him into Van Halen.

9. ixnay

ixnay Member

Neither of those reasons are grounds for undoing the trade. Unless agreed to otherwise prior to the trade, the deal is done once you both inspected the guitars and parted ways.

10. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Unless something was misrepresented, and so long as you are happy with the trade, I'd politely decline.

11. templar03

templar03 Member

No, I didn't liked it enough to buy it with cash upfront.

Guys, thank you so much for your advice. Really appreciate it.

I'll most likely turn him down and hopefully, he doesn't take it too hard..

12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

13. Turi

Turi Member

Or you could just not be a dick, and trade back.

Unless you absolutely LOVE the guitar you've traded for, it's best not to **** yourself over and shoot yourself in the foot.

As someone who trades a fair bit - I've traded people and had them not want to trade back when I've asked, well, what do you know, same guy pops up asking to buy my next guitar I've got up for sale "no thanks bro, you're a ****".

He probably misses his guitar.

If you are absolutely deadset that the one you've got from him is a keeper, and you love it and will use it forever or whatever, then sure, if you don't have those feelings, trade back.

Who knows what he might have next that you might want.

I wouldn't be a dick.

14. axe4me

axe4me Member

What are the guitars?

15. ixnay

ixnay Member

No, being a dick is agreeing to a transaction then trying to back out of it a week later.

16. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

This!

17. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Given your implicit statements on the dickishness of anyone who feels differently than you, I think you've already overshot your own mark.

18. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah, this is true, don't get me wrong... but I think it's stupid to be a tool to someone for no real reason.. it's just a guitar.

I'm just not for shooting yourself in the foot is all, and in the gear world, you seem to always stumble across the same people (at least in my own experience)..

Ha, it's you!! I thought I blocked you... :/

19. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Nothing unreasonable about saying no thanks...he's gotta know that's the likely situation.
    You can tell him you'll spread the word that it's available again though...

20. megawzrd

megawzrd Member

Deal is done. Tell him politely so and move on.