• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitar Triller

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
So you turn your guitar into a hammered dulcimer and learn to finger chords like Jeff Healey (look him up, killer guitar player, died way to young)? Interesting, but I'd probably carve one out of hardwood rather than buy it, because I'm a cheapskate!

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member

Ugly Bunny

I bought two (gave one to a friend). They had a deal 1 for $15 or 2 for $25.

they're interesting. It's neat to be able to cleanly strike a whole chord at once (not a strum). I haven't messed with it that much, honestly. Feels like a pretty solid product, though. It's like a very hard plastic. I dunno. I don't see me writing any ground-breaking music with it or becoming a 'triller whiz,' but it's another tool. It's kinda like the eBow; probably not something you're going to use all the time, but neat to have if you wanna mess with new effects or techniques.

I give it a 2/5 stars (on Yelp!, that's a "meh"). Not terribly inspiring, but functional. It's more gimmicky than anything like all those MIDI attachments that you can make drum beats on your acoustic or whatever.

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
Why so?

String-striking devices are hardly new, after all. For example there is the Engle guitar hammer at http://www.theengle.com/ and the Hammer Jammer at http://www.thehammerjammer.com/index.html. And of course, similar to the Hammer Jammer but using a bowing action as opposed to a striking action to set the strings in motion (and far, far more expensive), there's the Gizmotron 2.0 (www.gizmotron.com).

I don't understand why would anyone buy this.
That said, i feel each person has the right to get what they want.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry, this thing don't trill. They shoulda gone with 'guitar pummeler' or 'the plastic hammer'.

Wiki: The trill (or shake, as it was known from the 16th until the 19th century) is a musical ornament consisting of a rapid alternation between two adjacent notes, usually a semitone or tone apart, which can be identified with the context of the trill.[2

Ugly Bunny

You CAN trill with it; but it takes significant effort. Different sound than alternate picking. But yeah; weird to name it as they did o_O.

ogguitar

Yeah I noticed that as well haha

Then again, guitarists still haven't sorted out the tremolo arm and vibrato amp debacle. But hey, at least we got the names right on all the pedals.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
But who hasn't already done this with a plain old pencil? I think the coolest implementation is Tony Levin using his two bamboo finger extensions on his right hand for bass.

Big_ryan

I finally got around to doing a little video with the triller, its interesting but i dont think its going to change the way we all play guitar or anything.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom