1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Guitar tuner app for iphone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blondestrat, Feb 8, 2019.

1. wox

wox Supporting Member

This is what I use as well. Works great, tons of flexibility with alt tunings, etc.

Used to use Polytune, but I don't think it's maintained anymore and doesn't work on newer iOS versions.

2. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I use the Fender app on my Galaxy but I also use a free voice recorder for recording my practices so clearly my choices can be questioned.

3. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

I use guitar Tuna which does a lot as well (5 stars)
    Whatever you do, look at the quantity of downloads and 'stars'/reviews.

Also, I *just discovered* in a rare, lazy moment, that Alexa will "play guitar tuner". (4 strums of an acoustic per string, in order) for when you're playing one of the dozen beaters you bought 'to play on the sofa'.

4. blondestrat

blondestrat Member

Thanks for the replies and generous offer!
    I got the Peterson app because I always have my phone on me and it will come in handy as a mobile tuner, and will also serve as my backup tuner as my Turbo Tuner is in my rack setup and I would have to be in that room and plug into it, hence why I wanted a second tuner.

REVIEW and COMPARISON:

So far I'm using the built in iphone mic and it works very good!
    The wound strings sometimes need to be plucked somewhat hard for the mic to pick it up, and that can make the note slightly sharp. So I might get the adapter, but as for a mobile tuner it is perfect.
    I did compare it to my Turbo Tuner, plugged in, while the iphone was on my lap.
    Very similar results but the app needs the wound strings plucked slightly harder sometimes, giving the Turbo Tuner an advantage, obviously.
    The Turbo Tuner is faster too.
    So The TB will stay as my performing/guitar repair tuner, and the Peterson will serve nicely as a very good backup.
    Lets see how it works in a noisy room next time I go to my friends to jam.
    Maybe I can leave the adapter in my car so I'll have it when I need it.

5. seagull

seagull Member

Polytune is working just fine on my iPhone running the latest iOS.

6. blondestrat

blondestrat Member

Just wanted to update my review, I used the app at a friends during an acoustic guitar jam with background noise and the app works excellent with acoustic guitars, highly recommended.
    Funny thing is my friend couldn't even find his clip on tuner lol!

7. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

i use the one that comes bundled with the music memos app, swipe left and you switch to the tuner mode
    the app kinda sucks, though