Guitar Tuning Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by m@2, Jan 14, 2008.

1. m@2

m@2 Member

Hello all,
    I have a (hopefully easy) quitar tuning question... when i play a single string into a tuner, my guitar general starts off either sharp or flat (but more often flat), then "settles" or rises into a note (after maybe one or two full seconds), and I would normally then tune to this note.. but i'm wondering... is this the correct approach? or should I be trying to get my initial note play in key, and not be as focused on where the note ends up? Hoping I can get some explanation/advice that is not TOO technical : )

hope that question makes sense...

2. greeny

greeny Member

Yeh. I understand the question. In fact where you strke the string seems to have an effect on this as well.

I do as you do and tune to the settled tone. However I know i've read somewhere that if you have buzz feinten installed you should tune to the string attack. Not sure if one is more correct than another. If can be a bit difficult tuning to the attack!

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I think most companies that make tuners say to read the first note (attack).

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I think it really depends on your playing style:
    If you have a heavy right hand attack and/or strum a lot I'd say tune to the attack.

If you have a light right hand attack and/or finger pick or strum lightly, tune to the note after it settles.

PS A fast tracking tuner can really help you see the attack, sustain, decay of the note and how the pitch can vary slightly in these three areas.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

When I tune I'd rather have it drift slightly sharp then flat. I use a strobostomp this is really subtle. I think if the note when played is sharp then drops to pitch is better as it seems to give the sound more of an edge to it. If I'm a little flat it always sound kind of deflated with no push.

6. m@2

m@2 Member

...it's interesting because my bass does not do this at all... i tried both ways (tune to attack vs. settled note) tonight with my tele/LP and did find the guitar was more in tune with the bass if I tuned to the initial attack ( I do tend to play with more attack, less sustaining) so I think i'll stick with this approach. thanks for the input : )

7. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I've also read that we are supposed to tune to the attack, but I tune to the sustained note and I never have a problem. With me, the initial attack sound is sharp and I've always thought it was because the pick attack pulls the string, increasing the tension momentarily.