Guitar Unpopular Opinions Megathread

BenTobith

Symmetrically Hard Clipped
Gold Supporting Member
Keep this focused specifically on guitars themselves (not amps, pedals, cables, plectrums, etc.), please.

Here's a few:
  • Leo Fender was a two-hit wonder with the Esquire/Broadcaster/Telecaster and then the Stratocaster. The Jazzmaster was discontinued for a reason: It was a hot mess, and a terrible design. (That bridge and tremolo, my God.) It's only popular now because of hipsters and anti-establishment. It became clear over time that Leo wasn't a guitar player, and it hurt his later designs immensely.
  • Literally every PRS guitar is ugly. It's like their design team looked at Karen's yoga pants and thought, "Hey, tiger stripes would look great on an oddly small guitar body."
  • Every brand that Gibson has sued for copyright or IP infringement has deserved it. I despise companies that live off of other people's ideas and originality. Copying a vintage Gibson and charging 3x what a new Gibson costs and then crapping all over Gibson is pathetic. Pick a fair fight. Or how about this?: Come up with your own ideas.
  • CBS had some home runs when they owned Fender, including the Telecaster Deluxe and Thinlines. Or how about CuNiFe pickups? Awesome stuff.
:)

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
I agree with everything you said... right on the $$, simply from my perspective on guitars...
.(I owned a Jazzmaster back in 66.. what a frickin nightmare)
PRS? Hohum...

shocks

Keep this focused specifically on guitars themselves (not amps, pedals, cables, plectrums, etc.), please.

Here's a few:
  • Leo Fender was a two-hit wonder with the Esquire/Broadcaster/Telecaster and then the Stratocaster. The Jazzmaster was discontinued for a reason: It was a hot mess, and a terrible design. (That bridge and tremolo, my God.) It's only popular now because of hipsters and anti-establishment. It became clear over time that Leo wasn't a guitar player, and it hurt his later designs immensely.
  • Literally every PRS guitar is ugly. It's like their design team looked at Karen's yoga pants and thought, "Hey, tiger stripes would look great on an oddly small guitar body."
  • Every brand that Gibson has sued for copyright or IP infringement has deserved it. I despise companies that live off of other people's ideas and originality. Copying a vintage Gibson and charging 3x what a new Gibson costs and then crapping all over Gibson is pathetic. Pick a fair fight. Or how about this?: Come up with your own ideas.
  • CBS had some home runs when they owned Fender, including the Telecaster Deluxe, Custom, and Thinlines. Or how about CuNiFe pickups? Awesome stuff.
Basses are guitars, right? I’d say Leo did a pretty good job with the P-Bass and J-Bass. Also, the Telecaster Custom was pre-CBS.

Jecht

Here's an unpopular opinion: I think superstrats are superior to traditional Fender and Gibson designs and I even like the looks of 80s pointy guitars. I prefer the sleek futuristic look of many superstrats and find many 50s and 60s designs to be clunky and unrefined in comparison. The most offensive example of this would be the Maestro Vibrola vibratos on SGs, especially the side-to-side version. :barf

I also don't care much for 50s cars and don't want my guitars to reflect those aesthetics. My only complaint is that more superstrats aren't being made with a 24.75" scale length. With that said, I have a Fender road worn strat I adore and I like Gibson guitars too, especially the Explorer. :dude

Also, a Floyd Rose is still the best vibrato design ever even compared to modern two point trems.

Last edited:

singlecutarmy

I agree! I am aware of my opinions that are controversial and typically prefer to keep them to myself simply to avoid any discord. I thought it would be fun to let it all out in this thread though. lol
Just seems to be a common sentiment I see in the guitar community. Whether people are complaining about blingy guitars, relics, etc. it seems like people are mad at the existence of guitars they don't find pleasing. I just don't understand it.

GulfportBound

While we're at it, I don't like seeing non-Gibson V-shaped guitars referred to as Flying Vs. There is only one family of Flying Vs and they're made by Gibson. (Epiphone being made by Gibson gets the obvious pass.) Anything else made by anyone else is not a Flying V.

RRfireblade

Just seems to be a common sentiment I see in the guitar community. Whether people are complaining about blingy guitars, relics, etc. it seems like people are mad at the existence of guitars they don't find pleasing. I just don't understand it.
I might add online community, these are things again I rarely hear or see in person.

surfco

Here's one that some people others call SNOBS or CORKSNIFFERS hate:

Gibson is one of the companies with the WORST designs in guitars.
• Moronic headstock angle that breaks just by looking at it.
• Stupidly sharp saddles.
• Idiotic string spread from the nut to the tuners.
Plus, that moronic "Play authentic" bullsh#t campaign... LOL! LAME!
I hope in a near future they go bankrupt again and this time they go out of business for good.
:munch