• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Guitar Value? 81 Gibson Explorer E2

theHoss

I have a buddy who has one and was curious what the value would be. I thought I would check here for him.

It is a tobacco burst finish with a nice figured top. Probably 7/10 condition with some buckle rash on the back. All original as far as he knows.

Thanks in advance for any insight into its market value.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member

My E2 is an earlier model (1980) that is the walnut/maple laminate construction like the more popular V2. I paid just over $600 for it a few years ago from a local dealer, but I think I got a great deal on it. I have also seen the maple top versions, (like "The V" or the CMT's) but those appear to be later ('82?).

It is as heavy as a bitch (maple). The dirty fingers humbuckers are about the hottest Gibson pickups I've ever played. Not particularly pretty sounding, but hot hot hot! It is a good player, but I tend to play my other Explorers more often. I think the lead tones are great , but as a rhythm guitar, it's not the greatest (I'm playing in a 1 guitar band).

I did see one sell for $1900+ on ebay, but that was probably just a fool. I would guess value at around $1500 for a good one.

theHoss

Thanks for the info guys. That is a nice lookin' guitar Matt. Something about the explorer that I dig.

Thanks again!

Trending Topics