1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Guitar Versatility

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heajos, Feb 4, 2012.

1. heajos

heajos Member

I've got a Gretsch Duo Jet 6128TDS, and it's pretty cool.
    I fight with it more than I love it, but there's something magical about it that I can't explain.

Also, I feel like it's only good at a couple of things and I want something that doesn't fit into the Gretsch sound whatsoever.

What are some good ideas for guitars that are pretty different than the Jet?
    I mean obviously something like a tele but I mean, give me some actual specific guitar ideas.

What are your opinions?

2. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Keep in mind that many people don't know that Duo Jets are semi-hollow.

3. heajos

heajos Member

Good point.. Thanks I wouldn't have remembered.

4. steve108819

steve108819 Member

A Jackson with a Floyd is pretty different.

5. heajos

heajos Member

Let me ALSO include, that I mainly play worship style music.
    But I am not limited to Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc.

They are influential to my playing but I play a lot of effects based music.

(ie) Circa Survive

6. slpayne

slpayne Member

For worship, its hard to beat a strat....you can wail like lincoln brewster all day ;)...a tele 72 deluxe or thinline re issue is also a good bang for the buck....most of the fender stuff REALLY works with P&W

7. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Specifically, I can't get past how much I like the new series of AmDlx strats. Lots of very usable, musical tones to be had. The compound radius also makes for amazing playability.
    I have a terrific EJ Rosewood too but for my church stuff my AmDlx V-neck offers more
    options.

8. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

PRS 513 - extremely versatle with 13 different switching combinations of hunbuckers and single coils. Very pricey though; pretty sure I could build a guitar with very similar features for much less and still be high quality though.

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

You could get a Nashville Tele-3 pickups and add a switch that combines pickups in series / parallel for fatter OR "Normal" Tele combinations

You could get any H-S-H Guitar like a Superstrat type with a 5 way and three mini toggles to coil cut each of the Humbuckers AND add the bridge pickup( 3rd mini toggle ) to whatever is selected on the 5 way.

OR 3rd mini toggle can be a "Blower Switch" that sends Humbucker direct to output Jack ( in single OR Humbucker Mode) right to output jack for raw lead tones.

That's a simple way to get a lot of versatility. I think Mahogany is often more versatile on these kind of H-S-H even if it's a Tele or Superstrat type or set neck, but Alder will still be super versatile.

I had 2 Guitars made by BC Rich and Carvin that had only 3-3 way mini toggles and a phase switch ( no 5 way ) that yielded over 50 possible pickup combinations- but some were very similar and redundant- it was my version of "the game changer" in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. heajos

heajos Member

I just can't bring myself to like how PRS guitars feel.
    My brother in law had a PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24 and I didn't even like how it played. Personal preference of course, because it was an amazing sounding guitar.