Guitar Versatility

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heajos, Feb 4, 2012.

1. heajos

heajos Member

I've got a Gretsch Duo Jet 6128TDS, and it's pretty cool.
    I fight with it more than I love it, but there's something magical about it that I can't explain.

Also, I feel like it's only good at a couple of things and I want something that doesn't fit into the Gretsch sound whatsoever.

What are some good ideas for guitars that are pretty different than the Jet?
    I mean obviously something like a tele but I mean, give me some actual specific guitar ideas.

What are your opinions?

2. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Keep in mind that many people don't know that Duo Jets are semi-hollow.

3. heajos

heajos Member

Good point.. Thanks I wouldn't have remembered.

4. steve108819

steve108819 Member

A Jackson with a Floyd is pretty different.

5. heajos

heajos Member

Let me ALSO include, that I mainly play worship style music.
    But I am not limited to Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc.

They are influential to my playing but I play a lot of effects based music.

(ie) Circa Survive

6. slpayne

slpayne Member

For worship, its hard to beat a strat....you can wail like lincoln brewster all day ;)...a tele 72 deluxe or thinline re issue is also a good bang for the buck....most of the fender stuff REALLY works with P&W

7. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Specifically, I can't get past how much I like the new series of AmDlx strats. Lots of very usable, musical tones to be had. The compound radius also makes for amazing playability.
    I have a terrific EJ Rosewood too but for my church stuff my AmDlx V-neck offers more
    options.

8. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

PRS 513 - extremely versatle with 13 different switching combinations of hunbuckers and single coils. Very pricey though; pretty sure I could build a guitar with very similar features for much less and still be high quality though.

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

You could get a Nashville Tele-3 pickups and add a switch that combines pickups in series / parallel for fatter OR "Normal" Tele combinations

You could get any H-S-H Guitar like a Superstrat type with a 5 way and three mini toggles to coil cut each of the Humbuckers AND add the bridge pickup( 3rd mini toggle ) to whatever is selected on the 5 way.

OR 3rd mini toggle can be a "Blower Switch" that sends Humbucker direct to output Jack ( in single OR Humbucker Mode) right to output jack for raw lead tones.

That's a simple way to get a lot of versatility. I think Mahogany is often more versatile on these kind of H-S-H even if it's a Tele or Superstrat type or set neck, but Alder will still be super versatile.

I had 2 Guitars made by BC Rich and Carvin that had only 3-3 way mini toggles and a phase switch ( no 5 way ) that yielded over 50 possible pickup combinations- but some were very similar and redundant- it was my version of "the game changer" in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  10. heajos

heajos Member

I just can't bring myself to like how PRS guitars feel.
    My brother in law had a PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 24 and I didn't even like how it played. Personal preference of course, because it was an amazing sounding guitar.