Guitar Video Lesson available (beginner level)

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by rotren, Aug 13, 2005.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Hi there, I have now put up a first video lesson, covering pentatonic blues licks mostly. Difficulty level: Beginner.
    I play a Squier '51 and Vox AD50VT - highly recommended by the way if you're on a budget.
    Let me know what you think. What would you suggest to make it (and any new video lessons I make) better? Maybe there should be a small version available for those on slow connections.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons

Thanks
    Robert

2. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

There's some sweet playing and tone there!

My best advice is just to keep an eye on your audience's level. You've advertised this as a beginner lesson, you show the pentatonic scale - and within mere moments you're playing killer two step bends with a wicked vibrato and position shifts! I've been playing 15 years and sometimes get paid to do it - I can't come close to bending like that. But I can tell what you're doing and try to cop it, a beginner would have more trouble.

I think a beginner would need a bit more hand holding to get a grasp of the scale and how to find the box and which notes sound good to bend. A more advanced player could jump straight into some of the licks.

3. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I agree. A true beginner would have trouble with this. You'd be much safer calling it intermediate level.

4. rotren

rotren Member

Thanks for the feedback - I called it "Beginner" because some initial feedback I got was "this might be interesting for beginners". I'm not really sure where the line goes between beginner/intermediate/advanced, but as I get more feedback, I'm beginning to get a better understanding of how people react to the video. I'll try and make a "very beginner' type of lesson to see what kinds of responses I get from that.

I also want to do more advanced ones, showing different ways of improvising over chord changes, ways of comping chords to a groove, etc. But I guess there are more beginners out there than intermediate/advanced ones.

5. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the video lesson.
    After watching the video twice, here are some suggestions, assuming this is a beginner's lesson:
    1. Spend a bit more time talking about the shuffle rhythm (e.g., 12/8, triplets, etc)?You could actually spend a lot of time just focusing on the rhythm. For example, when playing a shuffle I tend to hit the strings hard if I'm playing a Strat-style guitar, I lightly bounce my left hand, accent some beats, and in general try to give the rhythm a more percussive effect. From what I could hear you are also applying some of these techniques, and beginners may not realize this. Perhaps you can also talk about typical shuffles in terms of notes (e.g., Root-5, Root-6, etc.) and chord progressions (e.g., I-IV-V, quick-change, turnaround, etc)
    2. Turn a bit to your left. The camera angle does not permit the viewer to see everything that you're doing.
    3. Mention the key you're in (E) and explain what a pentatonic scale is.
    4. Divide the video into different sections or the lesson into different videos. For example:
    The Shuffle Rhythm
    Pentatonic Scales
    String Bending
    Phrasing
    5. Focus on a specific lick to teach a technique, and play that lick at a slower tempo as well as in the regular tempo.
    6. The drum track got to be a bit annoying, since it was on all the time, even when you were giving explanations. Perhaps turning it on when playing and off while talking would be better.
    7. At the end of the lesson, you could play a lick and instruct the viewer to repeat the lick to the best of his/her abilities. So you could play a 12-bar blues and play for one bar, get a response, play one bar, get a response, until the end.

I hope this helps.

By the way, the beginner/intermediate/advanced categories are quite confusing. i recently purchased 2 "advanced" DVDs that I would classify as advanced beginner or intermediate, but not advanced.
    And I guess that the more a person advances on their instrument, the more they realize they are beginners. At least that's the case for me after playing for 19 years :)

6. rotren

rotren Member

Ah Xoc Kin, thank you, those are very good points. I will see if I can have a series of clips where each covers one aspect from your suggestions. Having everything in one video clip would make it very long.

I have put up a few more video lessons lately, check them out too and see what you think.

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons

Thanks,
    Robert

7. reallifesm

reallifesm Member

Thank you for your site maybe finally i can get those licks i have been hearing down. Keep it coming!!!

8. mr breaker

mr breaker Member

great site... keep 'em coming!

9. rotren

rotren Member

Thanks! I am glad to hear! :)

Any suggestions on other stuff to cover in a lesson or two? I'm open to ideas. I don't do tabs though, just for the record.