Guitar volume down, sweetness. Volume up, washed out in the mix.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crackbass, Feb 6, 2012.

1. crackbass

crackbass Member

Using a Rat clone, Monte Alums OD308, into a slightly dirty amp. (Palimino V16) With my guitar volume down, chords and fills are just beautiful. I get awesome dynamics that let me jump up and down in the mix as I need. Single notes as well as multi-phonic stuff just sounds great. However, every so often, I need to do a "big" solo and I roll my guitar volume all the way up. This sounds perfect, at home, but in a live mix it just seems that I lose punch and the guitar just washes out for lack of a better term. It seems like it just dissappears from the mix to a degree. Perhaps I should go back to tube screamers, but I don't like the "not full on lead" sounds from them as well. Perhaps a new overdrive alltogether is in order.

BTW I always run plenty of mids in my base sound. I set the pedal gain at about 2/3rds up. The music is a variety of "radio type" contemporary christian. It's not a particularly loud or dense mix, and I'm not in the monitors, but I'm in mains so this is probably just my personal problem for stage sound. Everyone out front seems to think it's fine.

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

It sounds as if you are using too much gain. If you need that much then for your solo's you will either need more volume, an additional eq tweak, or for the rest of the band to back down and give you room.