1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar wiring question!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by atomheartmother, Jul 1, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

2. atomheartmother

So run a wire from the blend pot to the volume pot and a wire from the tone pot to the volume pot? Would it be OK to run a wire from the blend to the tone and another from the tone to the volume?

Where does it go grounded from there? The guitar has a hardtail, so I don't know if there is a wire like with trems.

3. dbx

dbx Member

You may already know this (no offense if you do...) the pot housing will soak up alot of heat and prevent the solder from flowing properly...make sure you have a good soldering iron so it heats the pot quickly and makes a good connection for the ground...if the solder "blobs" up or gets sticky, you'll "need more power Scotty..."

:)

4. atomheartmother

Yeah. I know that. I've done quite a bit of soldering, but have never been terribly economical with how I wire things.

5. dbx

dbx Member

:BEER

6. has-sound

has-sound Member

That will work fine as long as you don't create any ground loops like connecting the blend pot ground around to the volume pot as well as to the tone and volume.

There should be a string ground wire or at least a hole that normally goes from the control cavity and comes up out of the body under your bridge. Remove your bridge and you will see what I'm talking about.

-Stan

7. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Electronic n00b question: What does this blender pot actually do?

8. has-sound

has-sound Member

It blends in the neck pickup when the selector switch is in the bridge position and visa versa.

9. has-sound

has-sound Member

Cool trivia! I didn't even know that...

-Stan