Guitar Wiring Schematic?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by leofenderbender, Jun 9, 2006.

1. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

My guitar is a 2 Humbucker, Master Volume, Master Tone with a 4pole 5way megaswitch - I am looking for a guitar wiring schematic, any ideas? The wiring combination I am after is as follows:

Position 1: Bridge Humbucker
    Position 2: Bridge Split
    Position 3: Bridge Split plus Neck Split
    Position 4: Neck Split
    Position 5: Neck Humbucker

The setup I am running now is the same as above except Position 3 has the Bridge & Neck Humbuckers on at once – I want that position to be a combination of two SPLIT coils. A Bridge Split plus Neck Split in Position 3 should give me the in-between sound of a Tele or a Jazzmaster (like a big humbucker). That’s what I want.

I’ve searched the usual sites (Seymour Duncan, GuitarElectronics) & can’t find what I need. Any ideas?

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

It's a matter of doing a minor modification to the current wiring. If you describe it in detail (which pickup wires go to which lugs on the switch and how the switch is connected to the pots) and tell me which pickups you're using, I'll tell you what you need to do.

3. leofenderbender

Thanks Clorenzo:

Here is a diagram of the way my guitar is wired up now:

[​IMG]

The bridge pickup is a 4conductor Voodoo '59; the neck pickup is a 4conductor Suhr DSV;

I hope that is all you need!

4. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

All you have to do is this (new wiring in red):

[​IMG]

As you can see it's just a couple of jumper wires on the left side of the switch.

Depending on the magnetic polarity of the pickups, it may happen that position 3 will not be hum-cancelling that way; if that is the case drop me a PM because there are several ways to fix that depending on which coils you want active (inner or outer) in the split positions.

5. leofenderbender

Thanks Carlos!

I'll give it a go & see whether or not it works - experiment to find the best combination of coils to my ear. :roll

Thanks!

6. leofenderbender

Carlos:

It worked perfectly - just what I was after.

Thanks!

7. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

And yet again... Carlos is 'da man!

HJ