Guitar with a wobbly neck; Light or heavy strings?

NB_Terry

I have a very nice 2007 PRS Mira.

The neck is so light on this guitar. If I lean over, I can hear it detune. If I hit the low E I can hear it go flat.

I use 10 to 46. Would lighter or heavier strings make it more stable?

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member

The neck is so light on this guitar. If I lean over, I can hear it detune. If I hit the low E I can hear it go flat.

That sucks, I'd have it looked at. Generally lighter strings=less pressure, as would tuning down to Eb.

olgluefoot

Gold Supporting Member
No guitar should have a "wobbly neck". I would get it checked out or get a new axe.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Your situation isn't all that unusual. Lighter tuners can help in certain cases. I'd experiment with heavier strings .

muzishun

Maybe tighten the truss rod?

A friend has a guitar like that but the neck is really thin and the maple looks poor quality

jlb32

Not normal. I would definitely have it checked out. How light the guitar/neck is should not cause tuning issues.

If you lean the guitar and it goes out of tune you have more issues than what type of strings to use.

muzishun

Not normal. I would definitely have it checked out. How light the guitar/neck is should not cause tuning issues.

If you lean the guitar and it goes out of tune you have more issues than what type of strings to use.
I think he meant it temporarily goes out. The neck bends easily.

jlb32

I think he meant it temporarily goes out. The neck bends easily.
Light or not, I don't know of any wood so light that it bends out of tune that easily without something else going on. I doubt we are talking 1/4 inch plywood here. Wood is pretty sturdy and even the smallest necks should be stable enough to hold tune unless something is off with the guitar.

jmoose

Heavier works for me but I tend to muscle things anyway.

Surprised at some of the comments...it's a common issue with some mahogany neck guitars that don't have much mass at the neck joint. SG, LP juniors & specials etc. I get it.

kimock

Guitars do that.
If it bothers you, raising the string gauge and consequently putting more tension on the truss rod would probably help, but it might not kick in until maybe .012.

Flip side is acknowledging the absolute certainty with which a guitar leaned forward will go flat and a guitar leaning back will go sharp to some degree and saying "so what?"

Maybe learn to use it. .

Trending Topics