Guitar work stations?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, Oct 24, 2008.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I don't know what else to call them, at least this is what Fender calls this one.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Guitar-Work-Station?sku=420806

But where else can you buy such things? Are there places that supply better ones? I'm going to ask my guitar tech at my local shop, he uses a thick, padded, felt covered mat, but I thought I'd check here too. What do you guys use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

3. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I use a thick mat with a pine 2X4 about a foot long, and the 2X4 has a neck curve shaped into it and is wrapped with thick leather. It is kinda along the idea of the one in the link you gave, and I just set it up on a bench when needed.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

It's probably better than nothing but you could something better in one afternoon for the same amount of money.

5. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks for the help guys.

6. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

I have the Fender mat and it's great, I wouldn't know how to live without it. It's a great investment if you work on guitars.

7. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

If you have the room, I highly recommend a Sears Workbench. I also have one of the 'Thorn Designed' Dunlop guitar neck cradles.

Here's Ron Thorn working @ mine...

[​IMG]

Jamie

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Hmmmm.....we have Mr. Thorn working on a, I assume, Thorn guitar using a Thorn designed neck cradle.

What's with the Corona? Maybe he hasn't had time to design a beer yet?:cool:

9. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I actually came up with something pretty neat inadvertently last week while working on my firebird.

Basically the same idea as a neck cradle but I had a small box under a towel under the body. I was doing wiring and I figured this would keep the body up and off the towel in case I had some solder, wire ect get trapped up in the towel.

It worked really well and was very stable. So I think what I want to build (which Im SURE has been done before) looks in my head like a glorified Rifle Benchrest type setup.

Basically a rail that has a neck cradle at one end. Im going to put it on a threaded rod it so I can adjust it for height and move it laterally. On the body end just a threaded rod again with a large padded (maybe 2x4") felt bag. Something that is fairly rigid but soft enough to conform to the back of an arch top.

That way it keeps whatever Im working on completely above my bench surface so there is no chance of accidently rotating the guitar into something sharp hidden in a towel, I can adjust it to a comfortable height if Im going to spend a few hours messing with it ect. If I get motivated I might work on it this weekend... should be able to concoct something in a few hours. Its really not far off in my head from StewMac's Neck Jig.

10. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

here's mine btw:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]