• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Guitar you first really wanted when growing up

What was the guitar that you first fell for growing up? Maybe you someday got it; maybe you didn't. And how old were you when this notion first infected your young psyche?

It's been said that the music you hear as a young teenager usually becomes the foundation of music you continue to enjoy into later life. According to a study the peak year for girls is 13; while for boys is 14. For me it was 10 because that's when I saw the Beatles for the first time in 1964. Anyway, I wanted a Tennessean more than any other guitar for quite a while. I never got it but settled for other brands until I eventually got a 1966 Double Anniversary in 1970. It never quite captured the spirit that I always imagined the Tennessean would.

msquared

Silver Supporting Member
For me it was Nuno's Washburn N4.

I have played a few N4s since then and they're not really my thing (especially with a Floyd Rose and that price tag) but I still love his tone on those first three Extreme records and the guitars look pretty cool in their own right.

woodymq

Silver Supporting Member
I was 14 when the Joshua Tree came out. I finally got a black-on-black ‘79 Strat in 1988. I had it for 30 years. I sold it a couple of years ago because the prices were getting stupid high and it needed a ton of work... refret, new nut, etc.

A785D876-DB0B-4401-B4C3-8DBECD309353.jpeg

Last edited:

lawrencedesigns

Silver Supporting Member
When I was 15 in 1964, the only instrument my local music store would let young customers touch was a Fender Mustang. So for me the holy grail was that Mustang plugged into a Bandmaster.
I never got that Mustang. But I have had a good collection of Fenders. And I finally got my 1967 Bandmaster a few months ago. The circle is complete!
And of course, the first song I played through the BM was "Walk, Don't Run."

_sjm_

Silver Supporting Member
LP Custom silverburst, preferably a ‘79. I’ve almost bought one probably 100 times over the years, but haven’t gone all the way yet. I always hesitate with vintage guitars if I can’t play them ahead of time. I’m braver with buying newer guitars sight unseen, but the reissue silverbursts don’t interest me.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
As a kid starting out in elementary band on clarinet, what I really wanted was a guitar. One of these was in the front window of the music store, taunting me each time I walked by.

Dan Armstrong and Ampeg, teasing hordes of prepubescent boys during the early 70s!

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
I just started playing guitar in the 1900s. LOL Circa 1986 I was 14. I had this poster on the wall. I lusted after it. One day I called a music store and they said they could order one for $1000. It may as well been a million dollars, I didnt have that kind of cheddar. Never got one as by the time I could afford one pointy guitars were out of style. Just as well, most accounts say they sounded like doo doo.

Here is the aforementioned poster! Circa 1989. Anyone remember Tiddies?

flysky578

Always found the Prs Shape awesome looking (due to Linkin Park) and Tele/Strat shapes boring (also due to their used genres). Later when I started playing on a friends Dean VX at school I googled "E-Guitar" and my 13/14y old self found the BC Rich Warlock shape "cool looking" and just other than normal guitars, so I wanted one so bad..they had one in this shape in the store but 200€ too expensive..(god thanks for this)..ended up with a Schecter Omen which I never regretted..

Few years later another friend started and got a Warlock Shape starter kit...I just thought how ugly this thing where and how I could ever have liked it ..:hide:anon:nuts

rizla

Silver Supporting Member
Olympic white strat with a rosewood fretboard.
One was sitting on a stand at a friends house, it was his much older brothers guitar. I was spellbound by it. I just sat and stared at it. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I can still see it, its glorious. I was about 6 or 7.

mikesch

Double Platinum Member
Jem77fp. First time I saw one was in my dad's friend's house back when they first came out. My dad played but that was the first time I saw a guitar that made me want to play guitar myself. I got my own about 10-11 years ago and it was everything I thought it'd be.

Mad Wombat

I got seriously into Pink Floyd at one point - almost wouldn't listen to anything else for a few months. Gilmour's Black Strat.
That fed back to a previous love of Dire Straits, and triggered cravings for Knopfler's red strat.
Then I just started seeing strats everywhere and fell in love with them.

My second guitar was a late 80's Am. Std., 2-tone burst. I still miss it. I had to sell it in the mid 90's to pay rent.

The Pup

Silver Supporting Member
When I was a kid, my dream guitar was a Gibson Johnny Smith with floating pickups. When I finally bought a first year model, I was disappointed (it was expensive and kind of woofy). Years later I bought a LeGrand (blond with a floating neck pickup) and it was a dog (and expensive too). Finally, I bought a Super V with PAFs and it was an upright piano cannon (to my surprise), who would have thought?

mapleleaf14

I just started playing guitar in the 1900s. LOL Circa 1986 I was 14. I had this poster on the wall. I lusted after it. One day I called a music store and they said they could order one for $1000. It may as well been a million dollars, I didnt have that kind of cheddar. Never got one as by the time I could afford one pointy guitars were out of style. Just as well, most accounts say they sounded like doo doo.

I too lusted after the Washburn Ace Frehley as a kid and my Mom took me to the local music store so I could "buy" one...I had saved a couple hundred bucks and Mom said she'd throw in another hundred...I was devastated when I learned that 1) they'd have to order it and 2) it was WAY out of my price range!

I ended up with some guitar I'd never heard of at the time that I was told was a killer guitar...a Charvel. And it was a killer guitar...probably way better than the Washburn AF40! I never did ever even play one of the AF40's, but I'd assume they weren't fantastic! That Charvel was used a ton in the following years and I gigged with it with several bands I was in when I was younger.

Last edited:

Trending Topics