• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guitarfetish.com experience??

kd2024

I've only made one purchase from them: a Fat Pat Humbucker.

It sounds fantastic and they were very responsive when I sent emails.

Just my $.02....

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I've bought Strat and Tele pickups for them. Satisfied with what I got for the money. Ymmv.

Yamaha 350

Nice guitars but they do not cost that much. Better than a few cheap brands. Like Squire. Sorry Squire fans. Can pick my own pickups. So customizable can Squire do that?

Scrapperz

I always had a good experience with them when I was buying. I bought 2 of those light weight tele kits they sell some years ago. Not bad little kits. I did modify the bridge though.

Blingdogg

So to the people who have experience with their Strats and Teles, you'd rate them higher than Squier (particularly in terms of guitar build quality, not pickups)?

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I have bought two guitars from them; a Slick SL-59, and a Xaviere XV-910. The Slick arrived with sharp fret ends and two frets that were dented on top. I should mention they initially shipped the wrong guitar, but issued me a return freight tag and exchanged it without argument. I had the fret issues rectified and it's a very good slide guitar. The XV-910 I bought as a blem around Thanksgiving for $179 and change, and it was much better than I expected. The frets were fine. No problems. I might invest in new wiring, switches and pickups at some point, because I like the guitar. It plays fine and stays in tune. No complaints. Like others have said, their quality varies from guitar to guitar. Some are good...some aren't. You takes your chances, but if you're unhappy, you can return it. Their CS seems to be good, as well as their return policy.

I have also bought several sets of pickups and a few odd parts. I didn't like the Gold Foils, but I did like the hot Slick Strat pickups and have them in my Strat partscaster. The P90s are pretty nice. I also bought a couple Slick straps and returned one of them for a credit because it was a sick shade of light green instead of white. Again, no arguments from them. The straps aren't made of nice soft leather; they're pretty hard, in fact. Again, not really great quality.

The bottom line is, I'd say give it a shot. They're running a sale right now; 10% off everything and 20% off clearance items.

Last edited:

cam.man67

So to the people who have experience with their Strats and Teles, you'd rate them higher than Squier (particularly in terms of guitar build quality, not pickups)?
No. I had an SL57 (the Strat version) come into the shop about 3 days before I was given an Affinity Strat in exchange for some other guitar repairs I did. The Affinity Strat was good...frets were nice, no sharp edges. I could get the action nice and low, and it felt really good to plAy. Bridge pickup wasn't stock but the rest of the electronics were, and it sounded very clear and stratty.

Compared to the Slick, no contest. The Slick had rough edges everywhere, 7,9,13,and 14 frets were all raised on the treble side. Fix all that, and the guitar still sounds like poop. Every pickup option sounds muddy and overly lower-midrange-y. There's no sparkle whatsoever. The trem I guess was about comparable to the Affinity, but even the tuners were junk.

I'm sure that SL57 was a dud. But for my money, I'd rather buy an Affinity Strat. Better yet, I'd imagine I can build an even better one for that price.:)

B Money

I've bought a couple of pickups and some miscellaneous parts (knobs, pots, switches) from them. I'm highly satisfied with the quality vs. price ratio.

Blingdogg

I have bought two guitars from them; a Slick SL-59, and a Xaviere XV-910. The Slick arrived with sharp fret ends and two frets that were dented on top. I should mention they initially shipped the wrong guitar, but issued me a return freight tag and exchanged it without argument. I had the fret issues rectified and it's a very good slide guitar. The XV-910 I bought as a blem around Thanksgiving for $179 and change, and it was much better than I expected. The frets were fine. No problems. I might invest in new wiring, switches and pickups at some point, because I like the guitar. It plays fine and stays in tune. No complaints. Like others have said, their quality varies from guitar to guitar. Some are good...some aren't. You takes your chances, but if you're unhappy, you can return it. Their CS seems to be good, as well as their return policy.

I have also bought several sets of pickups and a few odd parts. I didn't like the Gold Foils, but I did like the hot Slick Strat pickups and have them in my Strat partscaster. The P90s are pretty nice. I also bought a couple Slick straps and returned one of them for a credit because it was a sick shade of light green instead of white. Again, no arguments from them. The straps aren't made of nice soft leather; they're pretty hard, in fact. Again, not really great quality.

The bottom line is, I'd say give it a shot. They're running a sale right now; 10% off everything and 20% off clearance items.
No. I had an SL57 (the Strat version) come into the shop about 3 days before I was given an Affinity Strat in exchange for some other guitar repairs I did. The Affinity Strat was good...frets were nice, no sharp edges. I could get the action nice and low, and it felt really good to plAy. Bridge pickup wasn't stock but the rest of the electronics were, and it sounded very clear and stratty.

Compared to the Slick, no contest. The Slick had rough edges everywhere, 7,9,13,and 14 frets were all raised on the treble side. Fix all that, and the guitar still sounds like poop. Every pickup option sounds muddy and overly lower-midrange-y. There's no sparkle whatsoever. The trem I guess was about comparable to the Affinity, but even the tuners were junk.

I'm sure that SL57 was a dud. But for my money, I'd rather buy an Affinity Strat. Better yet, I'd imagine I can build an even better one for that price.:)
No. I'd rather have a Squier. Better build quality ime.
Thanks for the info guys. From the sounds of it, these guitars can sometimes be good, but there's a chance they may not and could have problems. In my case I'd prefer not to take a chance; even though GFS has good return service, it could be costly for me especially since I live in Canada. For a budget guitar, Squier works better for my situation (and then upgrade with GFS pickups, which I have good experience with).

I had two of their guitars, a Strat style and a Les Paul style.

Some of the poorest import guitar quality around, IMO. Both guitars had
multiple flaws, some of which were large.

I wont buy any more wood products from GFS, but I do like their pickups.
This is the pattern I see the most of. The Premium GFS pickups are made by Artec in South Korea and they can be pretty decent for money and I can't fault people who know what they like and order these pickups "with a plan".

But then people get careless and start trying to order eye candy guitars. They're just not consistently of good enough quality for the average TGP guy. And, once you buy something, don't complain you don't like it - they have no interest in such observations. You gotta show it is obviously busted or half missing or something. I think huge numbers of customers just take it on the chin and keep moving.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
This is the pattern I see the most of. The Premium GFS pickups are made by Artec in South Korea and they can be pretty decent for money and I can't fault people who know what they like and order these pickups "with a plan".

But then people get careless and start trying to order eye candy guitars. They're just not consistently of good enough quality for the average TGP guy. And, once you buy something, don't complain you don't like it - they have no interest in such observations. You gotta show it is obviously busted or half missing or something. I think huge numbers of customers just take it on the chin and keep moving.
Like I said, you pays your money and takes your chances with GFS guitars. I've been lucky twice. The third time might be a waste.

xlh1000

I have two Xavier's, and I like both. One is a Flame Maple top LP with the GFS PAF clone pups. I had to replace the tuners, IMO they are the worst part of the guitar. The other is a cream Tele Thinline clone with P90's. No issues yet, and I've had it at least 5 years. At their prices, you gotta expect that they can't all be winners. I have bought a lot of their pickups for modding Squires, Epiphones, etc. They make a decent p90 that fits humbucker routings that opens a lot of possibilities for LP Specials, Juniors and SG-310's. Saw some thread on their strings... I didn't read them cause I didn't have to... they suck.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom