Guitarist Magazine shoots down posers

I agree with this. I have many expensive guitars but love my Epiphones and other less pricey guitars. Can we be nicer to each other and appreciate all instruments especially if they bring joy to someone?

View media item 225577
By and large I agree as well. I find it unfortunate that in that piece he resorted to name calling even if there is a segment of people who can afford well above what most can and can't play as well as many.

I think the most spot-on point he makes there, aside from that we should all be nicer to each other in general, and aside from identifying that almost everybody has been shamed by a troll at some point and it had more impact than we'd all like to admit,...

The most relevant thing there is that early on you don't know what's going to work for you. You need to practice and build skill in order to know what is required from the gear. At that point it doesn't matter what other people say about it since you know if it works for you.

One thing that I think is challenging here is very reasonable to look to a consensus of those with more experience in order to avoid missteps early on. I think this can plant the seeds of snobbery and a rather unintended way.

TonePilot

Supporting Member
By and large I agree as well. I find it unfortunate that in that piece he resorted to name calling even if there is a segment of people who can afford well above what most can and can't play as well as many.

I think the most spot-on point he makes there, aside from that we should all be nicer to each other in general, and aside from identifying that almost everybody has been shamed by a troll at some point and it had more impact than we'd all like to admit,...

The most relevant thing there is that early on you don't know what's going to work for you. You need to practice and build skill in order to know what is required from the gear. At that point it doesn't matter what other people say about it since you know if it works for you.

One thing that I think is challenging here is very reasonable to look to a consensus of those with more experience in order to avoid missteps early on. I think this can plant the seeds of snobbery and a rather unintended way.
Well said.

JWDubois

99% of guitarists aren't elite players. 99% of guitarists aren't nationally known musicians. 99% of guitarists aren't rich. I think there's plenty of room for that 99% to exist without worrying about the one 1%.

I'm just guessing here, but I bet 99% of rich guitar collectors that can't play don't spend their time shaming the peasants on guitar forums for their inferior gear.

RRfireblade

While I agree, even though it sounds like a little whiny butt hurt article, I still think this is purely an internet phenomenon. I've never met anybody in real life, at a show, at a gig, virtually anywhere that actual musicians are, that act like people act on the internet in regards to ability and quality of gear.

TonePilot

Supporting Member
While I agree, even though it sounds like a little whiny butt hurt article, I still think this is purely an internet phenomenon. I've never met anybody in real life, at a show, at a gig, virtually anywhere that actual musicians are, that act like people act on the internet in regards to ability and quality of gear.
That’s a good observation and mirrors my experience. It’s easy to be an ass or know-it-all when you’re hiding behind a keyboard.

Ron Kirn

Gold Supporting Member
Vendor
What a superb commentary....

I often see guys categorize a long list of rationalizations for their decisions to own something .... this when there is only one rationale that is necessary... "I just wanted it."..

That works for a multi thousand dollar "prestige" guitar, a $20.00 barn find, Anything in between or anything you want to do to any of your collection .. and that holds up against any other reason anyone may feel obliged to mention, including the number one worst .. Tone...

I've never met anybody in real life, at a show, at a gig, virtually anywhere that actual musicians are, that act like people act on the internet in regards to ability and quality of gear.
OMG... isn't that the truth...

rk

Losov

My current project is acoustic based. Over the years I’ve had many acoustic guitars: Martin, Gibson, Taylor among them and still have a few.

However, for live gigs I’ve settled on Ovation and Godin models. As you may know, Ovation has long been scoffed at as a “canoe paddle” by purists and to some degree, still is. They usually have no idea what the Godin is but it is still subject to scrutiny by the guitar cognoscenti I encounter.

Point is, I use and have always used what I’ve found works best for me regardless of the headstock name or the opinions of other guitarists. I play better than all those idiots anyway. I’ve noticed that people who play better than I do tend to be curious about but never disdainful of my instruments.

CaptNasty

This open letter is just as lame as shaming others over gear.
I agree with the premise of the article.

I also agree with @Vash33. The premise of the article is tarnished by the delivery IMO, which is just as condescending as what the author speaks against, again IMO.

It seems that we have come to accept condescension so long as it is considered “righteous” or if we agree with the premise. If “live and let live” is truly the goal should the condescension be left at the door? Should we live what we preach?

Righteous condescension is still condescension it is just wrapped with a veneer of rationalization. YMMV

Last edited:

boo radley

On the surface the premise seems reasonable, but in my experience owners and collectors of really nice, high-end gear are completely disinterested in Korean PRS guitars, Chinese semi-hollowbodies and the like....It's just not their thing, and they don't care much. It's like talking to a Porsche club about a Mazda RX9.

The level of derision and scorn the author imagines is just that -- imaginary. Does the guy with a Tuttle on order really not know how good MIM Telecaster can be? Is the WAN network security guy, who's single with a $340k salary, and a collection of Collings and Santa Cruz acoustics, really going to sh*t on the dude with amazing chops gigging an import Breedlove??

If anything it's more the Eastman owners, or the "my-partscaster-blows-away-any-custom-shop" gang, that are more obnoxious and defensive.

I agree with this. I have many expensive guitars but love my Epiphones and other less pricey guitars. Can we be nicer to each other and appreciate all instruments especially if they bring joy to someone?

View media item 225577
Absolutely ridiculous when people shoot down inexpensive gear from atop their hoard of boutique or vintage stuff. First off, they absolute lack of understanding that it takes to ignore the fact that people cannot all afford the same gear is so disheartening. Secondly, there is a more amazing, affordable gear than ever before. Import guitars and pedals have come a long way and many people prefer cheaper stuff so that they can mod it to their own specs, or heavily gig it without worrying too much about replacing/damaging/ruining an investment.

The bear

I think he is talking about Swedish Jazz-Guitarist Ulf Wakenius? In that case Ulf plays an Aria Les Paul copy(a 100$ guitar), not a 175 copy. When I saw him play with Mike Stern, he was plugged in to a Roland Cube with a Boss SD.1 overdrive.

Trending Topics