Guitarists Carlos still needs to record with.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Clifford-D, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Carlos Santana

the ultimate brother guitarist - yes.

Has he recorded with Gambale? or Ford? Or Scofield ???

Who would you like him to record with??

Let's figure out his next great album for him.

Then get him to record it........?

2. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

A Santana album where he duets with other guitar greats instead of rappers would be awesome.

Get him together with John McLaughlin again.

3. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I'd like to hear him with Michael Hampton

4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

You are a man of taste

5. Lotus

Lotus Member

I vote for Robben:

6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Another Ford and Santana clip. I think the result is skewed by them playing in a context that Ford was far more comfortable with at the time. Indeed the problem with pairing him with most of the people mentioned in the OP is that they all have far greater vocabularies than Carlos. I love his playing to a fault, but compared to Sco for instance he is somewhat limited.

7. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I have to agree. Carlos was was a huge influence when I was starting out. He continues to be one to this day. I still have Moonflower on my MP3 player and listen to it often. I used to get upset that there wasn't enough guitar on that album. Then I realized that Tom Coster was just kicking ass on all the live tracks. His musicianship was so much greater than Carlos.

This is not the full track but the entire band is so on here. The percussion is percolating and never stops.

8. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

9. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Robert Randolph

10. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Frank on Carlos:

And Carlos's take on it:

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/wiki/Variations_On_The_Carlos_Santana_Secret_Interview

On September 15 1994, Douglas J Noble interviewed Carlos Santana for The Guitar Magazine, and sent us a couple of Zappa related bits which didn't make the finished article.

There's a Frank Zappa instrumental called 'Variations On The Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression'. Have you heard it?
    Oh yes. I've heard it and I laughed my butt off, you know. I thought it was really funny. I met him a couple of times and I was always in awe of his mind. I think his mind, much like Prince, is pretty amazing. I thought it was in good fun. I believe on the same record he made fun of Bob Dylan (presumably a reference to 'Flakes'), so I was just really grateful to be in the company of Bob Dylan and Frank Zappa.

As far as the other kind of stuff, it is true that I'm very limited on the harmony chord texture but at the same time, I'm very grateful that I get to play with John Lee Hooker and Wayne Shorter. I used to be harder on myself for not knowing the things that other people know. Then again, I feel things Frank Zappa could never feel, so I think it's pretty even Stevens. I was sad when he left because I think we need forces like him to show us and share with us Mozart-like operas and Mozart-like involved muscle intellect (laughs).

That's the only way I can put it – 'muscle intellect'. I still gravitate basically towards John Lee Hooker. I'm not a complex person as he put it in the 'Variations of Santana Chords' [sic]. I'm not a complicated person and to me, it's like I try to feel my heart and I try to touch yours. That's it! When I first heard the piece, it did disturb me. I felt like it was a put-down, you know. But after a while, I said 'you know, if he feels like that about it, then I'm still complimented I'm on the same record with Bob Dylan ... (even though he isn't -Ed)

You and Frank Zappa have both talked in the past about the difference between 'freaks' and 'hippies'. Is that something you can still see today'?
    I still see the same thing, you know. To me, the hippies, the real hippies. always had a subtle smile that said 'Let's do something good for the highest good of all people'. And the squares always said 'What's in it for me?' And it doesn't matter whether you smoke pot or not. I mean a hip is a hipper and a square's a square.

11. soberdave09

soberdave09 Member

would love to see his next CD duets with other guitar greats.
    david gilmour
    warren haynes
    dereck trucks
    clapton
    page
    beck
    EVH

12. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I would differentiate technical chops from musicianship. Obviously, Tom Coster has more technical chops than Carlos, but I would say that both have a ton of musicianship. If you put B.B. with Larry Carlton, I don't think you could say that B.B. wasn't musical.

13. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Very good point. Thanks!

I should have said knowledge of theory and harmony as Carlos himself has stated.

14. epluribus

epluribus Member

Do you get to vote "me?" :) Srsly, can you imagine if it was you? I'd be woodshedding and practicing all day...the paranoia...

--Ray

15. shinebox

shinebox Member

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Mike Landau

S.
    j

17. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

18. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

19. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I wish there could have been some recordings on which Carlos Santana collaborated with one of his early idols, Mike Bloomfield. Santana himself tells this story, in the introduction to Michael Bloomfield: If You Love These Blues (Santana himself wrote the book's foreword):

I'd have enjoyed hearing those two play together just once.

20. Burst59

Burst59 Member