Guitarists learning keyboards???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Crowbar, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

HI Folks,

Any of you guitar players out there learning to play keyboards? I've been at it for a year or so now, {playing guitar 30yrs} just teaching myself. Coming along O.K. Can do boogie in C and "Pipeline" and "Riders on the Storm" in E. Not yet reached the point of the hands being fully independant of one another.

Anyone know any good links to instructions? Most everything I've found on youtube is too hard or too beginner for me, I already know what chords are.

I'd like to play classic rock/blues. Right now my model is Manzarek, he is simple enough with the left hand and can run free with the right, thats what I'm working towards. First couple Santana records seem easy on the keys too.

What are you beginner/intermediate folks playing?

Oh and the gear, Korg PS-60 through my old Peavey PA. The korg is perfect for me, easy to operate and good on classic sounds.

Thanx

2. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I started on keys when I was young then got into guitar in 1964 when I was 11 I'm 59 now. If you really want to learn keys, take lessons for awhile or a friend who plays keys to show you stuff. Keys are linear vs guitar with various scales and modes. I use a Korg Triton with a Roland KC350. Keys takes practice just like guitar does. I played guitar and didn't touch keys for years then later got back into it at college and played both.

3. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

get a real book and learn some basic jazz tunes. learn left hand voicings that don't have the root on the bottom (preferably 3rd or 7th) to go with the melodies. get a few of those tunes under your belt and you'll be good to go on any basic rock stuff as far chops.

learning how to use the sounds -- ie piano, rhodes, organ, etc - is a different story and is probably more important than chops. you just have to practice using the different instruments in band contexts to learn that. listen to how other bands use them and copy it. those three instruments (piano, organ, and rhodes) and very different and require very different approaches.

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

You might like the book/CD "Improvising Blues Piano" by Tim Richards. The very first lesson is a super-basic blues progression in which you play the bass line with your left hand and chords with the right. The 2nd lesson has you playing a melody with the right while playing bass with the left, then soloing using just the notes of the chords. Yes, even while soloing you're expected to continue playing bass with the left hand.

If just that 2nd lesson already sounds too intimidating (you're already being asked to play with hand independence in just the 2nd lesson!), then check out "Adult All-in-one Course: Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course", Levels 1 and 2. If you get bored with the Alfred's pieces and/or want something bluesier/jazzier to play that's not too hard, check out "Jazz Bits and Pieces".

5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I'm 14 and I've been playing guitar for about ten years and started taking keyboard lessons over the summer. All I can say is that I wish I started earlier. I wanted to learn mainly because it seems like a good tool to have for songwriting but along the way it has helped me understand SO MANY concepts. What is probably the most Important outcome is that by learning keys, my jazz abilities have gotten so much better on guitar. Well, really everything has. It's really something I'm happy I'm learning.

6. p19978

p19978 Member

Been rocking a VK7 and a Kurzweil box for a few yrs now. I'm learning the classic rock stuff- Gimme Some Lovin, The Weight, The Letter, Feelin Alright, Good Lovin, Riders ot Storm, In The Summertime and Don't Let Me Down. Learing to learn B3, swirly Wurley, and Rhodes tones.

I could never be a fulltime keys player but I do dig some of those classic tones. I blame Jimmy Smith for starting me on this path.

7. grill

grill Member

i took lessons this past summer.

it was frustrating but good. learned to kinda read music and seems i don't know my right from my left at times!

practice practice practice!! is the key.

8. stevel

stevel Member

Try the Harpsichord work in "Love Me Two Times" - mainly the solo and the similar part towards the end - it's pretty accomplishable.

"96 Tears" is a good one for working on hand independence - it's simple enough but they're both doing something different.

The intro to "Come Sail Away" is nice for a little "classical-esque" kind of thing.

You should learn your boogie, or a 12-bar in the main guitar keys - E, A, D, G since you know C. Wouldn't hurt to learn it in more too just to get used to moving ideas around.

You might want to try something like "Green Onions" - there are some good YT vids of it showing how to play it. It's not too hard once you get it in your ear.

Other than that, I'd say just pick out what you can - you know, if the solos to "Black Magic Woman" are too hard, at least learn that intro. Pick out what you can from "Sweet Home Alabama", Pick out what you can from "Sympathy for the Devil", the end section of "Fool in the Rain", the end part to "Layla", etc.

Steve