Guitarists similar to (P-Funk's) Eddie Hazel....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by flatiron.putt.putt, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

So much win in this thread.

2. NashSG

NashSG Member

Fat tone. Jimi would have dug it.

3. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Maggot Brain was one of those tracks that made me open my mind and ears a lot.

Friggin brilliant. And the back story about the producer telling him to play like he just found out his Mom had died.

Man what an emotive display.

Pure.

seward likes this.
  4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I am not sure what has happened, but Kidd Funkadelic is no longer with P-Funk
    after several decades, starting with when he was 17.

Very sad he would not be there for Georges farewell tour.

5. Yooper

Yooper Member

Um, how about Leo Nocentelli of the Meters and Brian Stoltz of the Funky Meters?

6. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Only problem w/ more recent Blackbyrd and Hampton is the heavy gain and effects tones they gravitate towards. Prefer their tones from earlier days, esp. Hampton w/ the modded 3 humbucker Strat and an Alembic.
    Some interviews here:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/23907-parliament-funkadelic-a-funk-guitar-roundtable?page=1
    Some gear info here:
    https://reverb.com/ca/news/the-essential-gear-of-parliament-slash-funkadelic
    Cool GP interview w/ Hampton/Shider/Goins from the late-70s:
    http://funknstuff.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Funkadelic-Guitar-Player-Magazine-1977.pdf

freedom's door likes this.
  7. uberdave

uberdave Supporting Member

Many days gone past I got to watch and jam with Blackbird, Arik Marshall, Fish(Fishbone,), Jack Sherman, and Jack Irons.
    Luckily I was young/raw and receptive to their vibe and I got to play Blackbird’s Strat loaded with EMGs, and he played bass. Man I was not use to such a high output pickup and once I got a sound, my gut took over and I let it rip in between their jam. Afterwards he asked me where did you learn to play like that?
    I was incredibly under the influence of the moment and became speechless. Those guys were incredibly gracious and they played so well straight from beyond. This was all so long and yet it affirmed the universality of funk..Great thread!