Guitarists Using Kemper Racks on Colbert Show

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Why?...can't you tell if they sound good or not?

jb1984

YASSSSSS BABYMETAL.

My new favorite obsession.

The guitar players are pretty legit - highly encourage anyone here to check them out. One of them is/was in Marty Friedman's band.

tomaburque

Babymetal answers a question nobody asked: What if science gene-spliced Hello Kitty with Megadeth? While the results could have gone horribly wrong, I'd say this is the most entertaining thing I have seen in awhile. The band is pretty good, but not as good as whoever played on the studio album. Watch the guitarist on the left shred that 7 string on her solo on Colbert. But the studio band just crushes it on this tune:

james...

Silver Supporting Member
THAT guitarist is Takayoshi Ohmura. He's actually quite well known and skilled.

james...

Silver Supporting Member
We'll be seeing them on Celebrity Rehab in about fifteen years.
Eh, doubt it. These girls were just run of the mill j-pop singers before this. Apparently some Japanese label picked them up and created this oddball image for them. The girls weren't even familiar with metal before the group began. Female group J-pop is a pretty tired genre at this point, believe it or not. I think at some point, a metal version of such a group was inevitable. The female signer trio is done to death over there.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I think it was great! Refreshing to see something familiar but with a different angle! Love the guitar playing!

Last edited:

tomaburque

I've listened to their album Metal Resistance on Spotify a few times now and it has artistic merit. They're just like the Monkees - 100% contrived but whoever is doing the contriving hired an excellent producer who has crafted some terrific songs. The verses and choruses have effective contrast with clever fills and breaks. The tunes do not all sound the same. There's elements of dubstep and ska in places and the big epic second-to-last song Tales Of The Destinies is clearly a homage (or rip-off) to Dream Theater. The drum performance is impossibly good so you know they went midi and drum replacements which is OK as it sounds fantastic.

Now here in the West what makes some uncomfortable is getting entertainment from 16 year old girls that dress like they are 13 which is why the OP used a throwaway account to start the thread. I remember when the Runaways landed in '75 (I'm old) the local radio station in St. Louis KSHE was totally playing up the jailbait angle, but that's not what's going on here. So get your mind out of the gutter and enjoy the record.

Rock Kickass

This isn't a throwaway account I just regularly lurk lol. I think the sound is pretty good and the guitarists can definitely shred. My initial confusion was more around what the band was going for. Some of them are dressed like demons and ghosts and the 3 girl singers are dressed like uniforms. They are just all over the place look-wise. The Kempers sounded great though.

Trending Topics