Guitarists with drug addiction...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tommygunn1986, Dec 6, 2016.

1. tommygunn1986

tommygunn1986 Member

I just don't see how they do it. So many of our heroes battled with their addictions and still managed to play, write, and tour. That's so crazy to me. I've had a few to many drinks tonight and can't even play. Currently trying to. Maybe I'm just not very good.

Little_Wing, BADHAK and MattC like this.
  2. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

I doubt too many of them had *serious* drug addictions while they were clawing their way to the top. Once they were there, however, they could just surf their own momentum and as long as they made it to the stage a few nights a week, they were fine, I suppose.

But yeah; I don't play better loaded either. I don't mind either a little coffee or a little beer, but if I actually get *drunk* then it's all over. Once, when I was 17 and on LSD, which you would think would be inspirational, I couldn't even play my bass; I could see every individual sound wave and that made it impossible to do anything other than just play a single note over and over. No chance I was 'writing' any "music" that day...

3. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

To be fair, they were all of 22 years old at their peak. You can do anything at 22.

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

The thing with addiction, is you get to the point where you need the drugs just to function as a normal human being.
    Addiction aside, I can definitely understand playing while fubar though. Some of the most interesting lyrics and riffs I've written where while on some mind altering substances, and if your whole body is numb you can't feel the pain in your hands from playing for 8+ hours straight. I don't understand how people can drink and play guitar/write songs though. Alcohol makes me the world's worst guitarist.

5. White Buffalo

White Buffalo Member

I never got it either. I've attempted to play wasted on a few ocassions and it just doesn't work- I end up frustrated more than anything.

Little_Wing, massacre, morlll and 2 others like this.
  6. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Guitarists with a drug addiction? Sounds dubious. I'd need to see some proof.

7. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician Supporting Member

That's kind of true, but not for long.

8. dohmar

dohmar Member

Didn't Clapton have to re-learn how to play guitar after he got off the heroin? I always thought that was extraordinary though it could be an urban legend...

-D

9. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

10. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

A year ago I was in the hospital and had a morphine drip. I caught a glimpse of how opiates affect the thought process. It helps some people stay focused where they don't have to think about anything but playing. Except when the money runs out and you have to go doing things to score, so that becomes your focus. Opiate highs are pretty unique. Too bad the downside is so strong. They took me off the drip at the right time. I got to check it out in a supervised environment and I'm glad I did. I have no desire to go there again. The curiosity has been satisfied.

Peralta and pbmw like this.
  11. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I'll admit, I don't remember who Saul Hudson is? Slash??

12. LDS22

LDS22 grapes Silver Supporting Member

I'm in

Cal Webway and Outlaw like this.
  13. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I've read a few accounts that claim opiates are to help with the drudgery of touring, not so much to help performing.

14. Black Coffee

Black Coffee Member

I used to do cocaine and amphetamines at a flighty 3PL warehouse night-shift job in my early twenties. Everyone there did it, and we got a hell of a lot done. If I were to have used the same approach to guitar practice, I'd be a hell of a better player.

I don't see how one can be productive on heroin/opiates though. Always made me debilitatingly sleepy after a couple hours.

15. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

:bong

16. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Back in the day, my choice was amphetamines..coke was just too expensive but i could spot a black beauty from 10 ft away. Many nights when we were done and loaded out, the other guys were draggin ass and thinking only about home and a warm bed. I was asking people in the crowd where the party was.
    I'm just glad i lived thru it.

17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, like anything difficult--it takes a lot of practice.

Peteyvee, Grubgoat and andybaylor like this.
  18. Campfired

Campfired Member

"You Can't Always Get What You Want"

19. Campfired

Campfired Member

Was the car a Corolla?

20. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

Back in the day I worked with a guitarist who was a junkie. It took about 18 months before I realized.
    Great player, focused as hell at rehearsals/writing sessions, non-drinking vegetarian who meditated a lot.
    I happened to bump into him backstage at someone else's gig when he'd just had a hit and was on the nod.
    I sat down and asked him when he'd started doing this ****, and he answered "About 30 years ago man."