Guitarists with drug addiction...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tommygunn1986, Dec 6, 2016.

1. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Oh ok. Ya, that makes a lot of sense now that you say it. I should have thought of that myself.

Well, you all can call me Earl or Robert or "hey you, sh1thead". It all works for me.

2. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit®

I actually knew that it was his legal name, although I must confess it wasn't on the tip of my tongue. I just don't know anyone who uses it, including him. Present company excepted, of course.

3. s2y

s2y Member

Wasn't that the drug everyone was using in Robocop II?

Grubgoat, 65DuoSonic and T Dizz like this.
  4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

Absolutely - I'm definitely NOT saying it was a choice - but rather that it happens fast. Someone gets hurt, gets some painkillers from the doc, re-ups the scrip, and bam.
    I'm definitely on board with avoiding ANY addictions.

5. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

I remember at the US festival David Lee Roth said that Slash was filling his Jack Daniels bottle with iced tea.

Or maybe that was The Clash.

marktweedy likes this.
  6. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

7. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Lemonade! :)

Washburnmemphis and Nevets like this.
  8. Minte

Minte *except for a few minor scratches* Gold Supporting Member

When I was a kid playing in bands, we all smoked a lot of pot. We always thought we sounded better, but I've never heard a tape. So it's hard to really know.

Grubgoat likes this.
  9. Gibson62

Gibson62 Member

Tommy Bolin took a fatal overdose 40 years ago this month.

Great player who would have become even more sucessful if the drugs hadn't gotten him first.

10. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

If you saw Jerry Garcia during the 80s and 90s you saw the results of heroin and guitar playing, and they were not always pretty.

11. radicool

radicool Member

There's a big difference between being high and being wasted. I can play well if I'm a little buzzed - the secret is to stop before you normally would. Get too high, and that's the end of the creativity for that night, despite the fact that you might think you're playing better than you ever have. :rolleyes: I don't see how someone can operate on opiates, unless their talent level is off the charts to begin with. Nodding and drifting away; forgetting what you're doing...no thanks.

Little_Wing and morlll like this.
  12. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Slash talking about being chased by little blue Predator looking creatures and ending up naked in a hotel broom closet certainly didn't make it seem appealing to me.

I can see how it happens with prescription pain pills, they give you enough to get hooked and cut you off but without that, I really don't understand why anyone would tempt fate by trying heroin.

Personally, I never felt the need to get loaded on anything. I've never even had more than 2 beers at once and it's been years since I've even had one. I feel like my mind can go out there enough without illicit substances. I'll be honest though, I can't say I didn't enjoy the effects of the codeine cough syrup I was prescribed once but I also got tired of it after two days. I quit taking it and put up with the hacking cough until it went away on its own.

13. morlll

morlll Member

Me too 3 times this year. The last operation there was fentanyl too. I was in a hospital with and doctors all around. You know REAL doctors.

Cal Webway likes this.
  14. Kaji

Kaji Member

That really bums me out, the addiction rates and the damage done to people's lives and families. It's one of those things where you read the stats and think, 'The hell, how is it higher today?' I guess I just don't understand it, since I haven't walked in their shoes. Ignorance might be bliss after all.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

When I was touring, and in the grips of alcoholism, I needed a drink just to feel normal before and during the gigs. Afterwards it was just off the rails until I'd pass out. I'd just wake up the next day when the maid started knocking on the door and start all over. Rinse and repeat. I never became rich or famous. Addiction didn't care about that and wouldn't help me get that way. It certainly didn't make me a better musician, friend or person. It was pure survival with fleeting moments of bliss and extended bouts of misery. Despite my experience, I too don't know how people do it. I really don't think they're winning. Money and fame doesn't mean success when all a person has is pain. I pray everyday for the alcoholic/addict who still suffers. I've been sober 7 years now and wish the same for anyone who wants it.

kevmin, recto-robbie, dshobe and 4 others like this.
  16. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I thought it was Michael Anthony

17. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

For me, anything other than a little weed is too debilitating for playing music. Alcohol? Forget about it.

Little_Wing likes this.
  18. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I can't remember who said it but the quote stuck with me.

"Heroin takes all your life's problems and shrinks them down into one tiny ball. Where do I get my next fix?"

Grubgoat likes this.
  19. stephax

stephax Member

I was addicted to Viper once. ONCE.

SciFlyer likes this.
  20. Last

Last Member