Guitarists with drug addiction...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tommygunn1986, Dec 6, 2016.

1. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Quantity makes a huge difference.

I'd do a little "H" (nasal cavity, no needles for me) before the gig, then maybe another one midway.
    Then the band and I would smoke a joint before the gig, and one between sets (this would be at one of those 6 hours gigs at someone backyard barbecue, or wedding reception or something).
    And nurse maybe 4 - 5 beers throughout the night.
    Nothing really excessive (by my standards anyway).

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I've known lots of people who have done things a lot harder (and a lot more dangerous) than playing guitar while high or drunk and done it for years at a time. I also know a lot of musicians who were completely strung out before anyone had ever heard of them and become megastars anyway (although most crashed and burned after they got there). Addiction (including alcoholism) is incredibly widespread and it's not really very selective about who falls down that particular hole.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    DV52, MickeyJi and dallasblues like this.
  3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Not really.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

It's true but then the question remains: if that's all it was, then why don't all of those people stay clean forever after they detox once? If their only problem is the physical dependence, they should, at least in theory, never relapse or go back to using, but many in that category relapse in exactly the same way as any other addict.

Grubgoat and dallasblues like this.
  5. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Yes, really. It's not even close, You can and will die from alcohol withdrawal, dude! A friend of mine is gone for that exact reason. All he did was quit drinking without medcal supervision. Dead!

What is wrong with you? It's reckless to lie about medical things, and pretend you know.

Again, there is no comparison between getting off alcohol and pot. Physically it is very different. With pot all you have is minor physical things and the psychological aspect, which most report is very doable. That doesn't men there is ABSOLUTELY NO withdrawal process from pot. I would never spread that misinformation, ever. But it is way more benign. And yes, I'm a mental health professional.

RCCola and sfarnell like this.
  6. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I did drugs of almost all kinds 24/7 for about 22 years. I've been clean for 27 years. I still dream about smoking pot. I work with people getting clean every day of my life. I've seen people get clean from very drug imaginable including alcohol. I've seen people struggle for years to stop smoking pot.

7. mustachio

mustachio Member

Anything that messes with hand/eye coordination, e.g. Alcohol, LSD, MDMA, amphetamines gets in the way. Bars are an occupational hazard. Lots of shade, even in the most upscale establishment, someone is always holding. Weed? I never had a bad experience, but the audience did. I don't do anything except "a", as in singular, the definite article, one, drink. I want to put my best foot forward while doing something I love. It's out of respect for my audience, my love of music, and ability to even put myself out there. That way, if I am on or off any particular night, I have no excuses.

Not that I'm anti-bar establishments, I do have one requirement to play in a bar now, a stage. Doesn't have to be anything big. Just a space that indicates that this is my area and proper power outlets. I refuse to set up in a corner. NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

8. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

So what? You're still wrong. People struggle for years to quit lots of things that aren't even addictive. You think I haven't worked professionallly with addicts? Equating pot with heroin or alcohol is irresponsible, as far as withdrawal. It's just not accurate. Talk about the real problems of pot, and I'll agree with you all day.

RCCola and sfarnell like this.
  9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Perhaps the disagreement is on the term "sober up". We don't seem to understand that term in the same away. You appear to be referring to the detox process and I think of it as something entirely different.

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Pot is just not physically addictive in the same way. Any habit you quit can be challenging, psychologically. And yes, there is a physical aspect to anything, any habit, including twiddling your thumbs. But even there, if someone wants to quit pot, if they really want to, that is, then even psychologically it is somewhat easier. I quit pot for 7 years after being a heavy user, so I also have a personal angle. Yes I thought about it, probably dreamt about it, was tempted, all of that. No big deal, really. But really it was easy to quit for me, in the big picture, all things considered. The fact I didn't want it in my life made all the difference.

Whereas one sip with recovering alcoholics and you are worse than you EVER were. Start at the bottom and go down. Withdrawal can also last up to two years with alcohol, so it's not as it getting off it and withdrawal are two entirely separate things. They coincide. Incidentally, the relatively minor physical withdrawal from pot can also last a few months, and short term memory (for chronic potheads) comes back gradually. I'm not going to say pot is perfect. But in moderation, it is totally doable to keep it healthy.

I finally took up pot again, and am now quite moderate in my use. That is because I want it that way, and am opinionated about it. I have no desire to be stoned all the time. None. Nadda.

I just don't see that kind of reaction from hard core alcoholics. But if you just want to look at the research, I am confident how that will turn out. Pot has its problems, and it is certainly possible to highlight those without spreading misinformation that it is the same as alcohol and heroin. Or even tobacco, as far as physical addiction.

If you personally had a harder time, then I can empathize, and certainly, congrats for quitting. If you encourage others, then I appreciate it!

But pot is not heroin, and I believe it is harmful to society not to differentiate. A lot of people need it as medicine -- A LOT! And they aren't getting it. Why? Because people are distorting the information about it. Please don't do that. If you want to come down hard on pot, then please confine yourself to the most solid research. That will shut me up. Otherwise real, bad things happen. My best friend can't get it for her seizures becasue of BS like you are spreading. Her life would be wayyyy better if she had legal access to that medicine.

sfarnell likes this.
  11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I'll accept responsibility for a lot of things but not for your friend being unable to get a useful medication. There are lots of useful medications that include ingredients that are either derived from or related to extremely dangerous and highly addictive narcotics and yet those drugs provide great benefit to many people. I don't come down hard on pot and I haven't in this thread. In fact I haven't said one word against the use of pot either as a recreational or medical drug.

12. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I don't care if you accept reponsibility or not, though I respect you personally and wish you the best. It is true that the spreading of misinformation is what keeps that medicine from people. Sorry! Don't spread harmful things, and nobody will feel obligated to fight against that. I have the same responsibility. If we both stick to the science, then nobody gets to say crap to us.

LDS22 likes this.
  13. s2y

s2y Member

Is weed under protected status like Bonamayer?

14. taez555

taez555 Member

You know what no one ever says? "the Beatles made their best music when they were sober"

Substitute a hundred other bands and it's the same. Except maybe Motley Crue. Dr Feelgood was their sober album, and it's probably their best.

I always remember the line from Family guy when they're discussing John Coltrane in his post heroin period and Brian laments how bad his music in that period,, "yeah.....no junk, no soul" :)

Anyway.. :) My point is.... drugs are what they are. A slippery slope. Any drug. And it's different for every person. And it changes over time. We read so many horror stories of once greats hitting bottom. But would they have made the music they did without? Maybe? Maybe not?

Who knows.

Be careful out there.

Drugs are bad.

But they're also good.

Except when they're not.

Grubgoat and MickeyJi like this.
  15. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Not at all familiar with the reference, and a ten second google didn't help.

But a lot of people rotting in prison can attest that pot is not protected too well. Your previous post set up a strawman or three, though. Are you setting up another?

If anyone wants to shut me up, all they have to do is stick to the facts and research. Then we can have an interesting back and forth, weighing this against that, all the grey areas. If we don't know, then that's OK too. We just shouldn't pretend, IMO.

16. s2y

s2y Member

Bonamassa and John Mayer. I may have coined it after a "few" threads and entirely too much coffee.

17. loudboy

loudboy Member

Does weed make you post in black type? Because, man, it's annoying...

RCCola and CRBMoA like this.
  18. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've heard a lot of reasons to be against it, but this is a new one.

Do you really think that everyone with healthcare insurance will become an opiate addict?

Peteyvee likes this.
  19. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

After I got sober, a guitar felt really foreign in my hands for a while. I can't say that it was entirely like relearning the instrument. But playing, and especially gigging, were really uncomfortable. That tells me everything I need to know as to whether or not alcohol made me a better musician.

20. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I love Joe, but I understand the criticisms. Mayer seems like a good guy and a very strong player. Do you like them? I like them but don't seek them out for a place in my life. I never choose music according to who is a skilled player. It's feel. Neither of them make me cry or have special memories, that kind of thing. Gary Moore (from the other thread) gets a little bigger role because he is just so over the top with his passion and spirit, that even if he occasionally violates taste, which he probably does, lol, I can't get mad at him.