Guitarists with drug addiction...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tommygunn1986, Dec 6, 2016.

1. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Default type is completely invisible in my browser, so I change it every post to what I understood is a neutral black. I go through extra effort with every post. If you don't like that, you could find a polite way to help. So far you are rude, so I am having a harder time caring that I annoy you.

2. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Opioids literally rewire the brain and once those receptors learn what it's like to receive a hit, the memory of that specific feeling is going to haunt you forever, even if you quit.

3. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Yes, plus addiction is genetic, and genetic for specific pleasures. Quitting doesn't cure addiction, it just puts it in remission. But you are correct that the brain reorients itself to some extent. Other organs do too. Thanks!

4. s2y

s2y Member

I am indifferent to both. More fascinated with the idolizing and how they seem untouchable. ;)

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

That I definitely agree with. There seem to be some people, whether as a result of genetics or environment, who seem to be more inclined/disposed to addiction than others.

Cal Webway likes this.
  6. Peralta

Peralta Member

I've had a hell of a ride. I was addicted to both alcohol and nicotine for years. I got hurt, put on painkillers and hooked on opiates. I can honestly say that alcohol is the worst. It's utter and complete garbage that almost ruined my life and my health. Opiates did really inspire me creatively, it's one amazing high but it can kill you and the withdrawals and expense are a bitch. Bigtime.

Marijuana saved me from all of it. I have not had a drink in over two years and I never thought I'd say that. No opiates for a long time . I will take them if I have surgery or something but no more recreational use.

I'm all green, all day. Everything I create now has the sweet hand of Mary Jane all over it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

sfarnell and Grubgoat like this.
  7. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

That really makes no sense.
    Anyone with a physical dependence on anything can relapse.
    It doesn't matter how you start.

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I think why you start using drugs matters lot. I believe there's a huge difference between someone who turns to drugs (and other behavior) to address their emotional problems and ultimately arrives at addiction and someone who is introduced to addictive drugs for medical purposes and becomes physically dependent. Absent other solutions to their emotional difficulties, I believe that the former is much more likely to return to drugs than the latter.

Grubgoat and Hallogallo like this.
  9. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

I don't really disagree but, to me, 'why you start' is part of why you are mentally addicted to a substance, but has little bearing on your physical addiction to the substance.
    Both forms of addiction can lead to relapse and both can be a son-of-a-bitch.

Hope that makes sense.

Grubgoat likes this.
  10. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

It does, especially the part about "both can be a son-of-a-bitch".

Hallogallo likes this.
  11. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

That's one heck of a story. Hope your on the mend as well your family and friends. I understand about the pusher man. They're everywhere.

Grubgoat likes this.
  12. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I was in an originals band with a lead singer/lead guitarist who was amazing at both of his jobs. He wrote all of our songs, too. Such a waste to find out he was an on/off addict who would fall off of the wagon every 12-16 months. I was in the third iteration of the band. He'd get clean, buy all new gear, start the band and just when things would start going well he'd pawn all of his stuff and go on a bender. I loaned him a Marshall head once and he pawned that, ugh. We were about to start recording a CD when he did his thing and that was the end of that.

I check in on him every now and then and he spent about 18 months in jail a few years back. I played in a cover band with the drummer from that band a few years later, nothing huge came of that though.

Grubgoat likes this.