• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Guitarists with Unique Fingering

the_unwise

Mark Holcomb has always been interesting to me. They use a variety of different tunings and Mark has never shied away from making full-use of his abnormally long fingers. Watching videos of him with some of those chord shapes makes my fingers hurt just looking at it.

scienceguy

Gold Supporting Member
This is a small thing, but James Taylor always plays an open D chord with his first finger on the F#.
Using three fingers, or barring the G string A and the E string F sharp with the index finger?

For D, JT plays index finger on 1st string 2nd fret, ring finger on 2nd string 3rd fret and middle finger on 3rd string 2nd fret.

He also uses similar fingering for A: all on 2nd fret - index on 2nd string, ring on 3rd string and middle on 4th fret.

Matt L

Willie Adler from Lamb of God.

Chris Poland

Doug Aldrich

More odd or extreme hand positioning than fingering, but they each have unique left hands.

Last edited:
For D, JT plays index finger on 1st string 2nd fret, ring finger on 2nd string 3rd fret and middle finger on 3rd string 2nd fret.

He also uses similar fingering for A: all on 2nd fret - index on 2nd string, ring on 3rd string and middle on 4th fret.
That's just whack. Even my yoga instructor agrees.

bluesjunior

Curtis Mayfield tuned his guitar like the black keys of a piano [F#–A#–C#–F#–A#–F#,low to high] so all of his fingerings were unconventional.
Basically just another open G tuning, the 2-3-4 strings are still in standard for soloing etc. Interesting, I will likely try it out on my resonator guitar later on.

struffy

Me too but it's not by choice. I mangled my fingers in a table saw 18 years ago and have no control over the last segment of my middle finger so I can't bend it down there to get to it.
That would be a tough accident to overcome, it’s good to hear that where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Trending Topics