Guitarists You Randomly Met

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jacklickson, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

No after-shows or meet-and-greets. I’m talking totally random encounters.

Noel Gallagher - Record store in Toronto

Dann Huff - Parking lot in Nashville

Mark Matejka - Baggage claim, Nashville airport

Pat Metheny - Upstairs at Rudy’s

Phil Collen - Random club in Nashville

2. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Member

Steve Morse at the Fosters Freeze in Chico, CA. I was going to the show later that night ,but was grabbing a burger for lunch and he came in and had a cone. We talked airplanes. Cool guy.

3. Orm-D

Orm-D Member

Joe Satriani at Marienplatz in Munich. My wife and I were walking to dinner and he was standing outside a perfume shop waiting on his wife. We walked past him and I told my wife i was certain it was Satch but I didnt want to bother him and she made me go back and say Hi. He was very very nice,and said he didnt get recognized very often in Public.

4. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

Pat Metheney, Kurt Rosenwinkle, both were super cool and talked for a long time
    also the first guitar player i saw when i moved to NYC was Peter Bernstein, who was amazed that i was actually listening to him...
    I waited on Billy Corgan once in a restaurant..
    non guitarists it's even better, I was introduced to Maxwell once by a friend, who also introduced me to Jeff Buckley...
    randomly met Jack DeJohnette once, who was surprised I knew who he was... jimmy cobb
    wish i had some playing experience with these guys or had met professionally ... oh well, they all were nice and gracious

fretless, stratadp, WordMan and 2 others like this.
  5. patshep

I went to school with Mark Matejka years ago at North Texas State, he lived in the dorm... but back then, he went by Sparky....one of the most energetic people ever

Bankston and jacklickson like this.
  6. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

I told this story here before, but I was trying out an amp in Guitar Center and heard a booming "you sound great man!"
    Turned around and it was Albert Cummings.
    Man has a helluva handshake. Best compliment on my playing I ever got.

7. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

I think he still goes by Sparky. You ever listen to that Hot Apple Pie record? Man. He can throw down.

8. patshep

he was really good back then, in 87 or so... good player, i haven't heard him play since then...

9. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Howard Leese in a nearly empty restaurant before a Bad Company show 4-5 years ago. He was sitting behind me and my wife and I overheard him talking with his waitress about horses, I didn't see him but my wife was interested in this older gentleman with long white hair and she rides, so after the waitress left she started talking to him. I was finishing my dinner, then turned around and recognized him. Just said "Mr Leese I'm looking forward to the show tonight, I can't wait to see what PRS you are playing". He just smiled and said thanks, and we said our good byes.

10. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

Jeff tweedy at a sandwich shop in Toronto

fretless, joesnewmatch and Dashface like this.
  11. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Rusty Anderson, outside Norm’s in LA! Super cool, friendly and down to earth.

Pierce103 likes this.
  12. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Scotty Moore. It was at a show, but he was just an audience member, which I wasn't expecting at all, seeing how it was in the middle of nowhere. Though he wasn't overly thrilled, I insisted upon talking to him for a minute. Scotty Moore. 12 years later I'm still thrilled to have met him, a real guitar hero to me.

13. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Supporting Member

Greg Koch - at a music tent and retail event.
    I'd gone there for a quick line-up, get a signed card and photo op thing... which was great.

After that I was wandering the tent, and came upon a friend/associate I hadn't seen in a while, and he was representing Fishman at their both.
    We chatted, he wanted me to try a Strat with Fluence pickups in it... which I did, briefly. He knows me and my 'shreddy' Ibanez and EVH type side, but he knows I have origins elsewhere, and recognized his 'error.'
    He took the Strat away and placed his personal high end Partscaster Tele into my hands - it was fitted with the Koch signature Gristle Tone pickups.
    As I was spanking that plank, the light went a little dim; it was being obscured by the Masquatch himself, Greg, who had come (back) to the booth to observe.
    Turns out he was demonstrating at the booth part of the time too.
    I tried to give up his seat and let him get back to it; he insisted I play on.
    I've actually got a photo of his big thumbs-up taken by a friend who was nearby capturing bits in photos.
    We chatted about the pickups - which are awesome, especially in 'Blackguard' mode for my purposes - and actually chatted other stuff including the Wayloncaster I built and covered, and Steve Vai and such; he was looking at some of the reference photos on my phone while my neck was getting strained looking up at him.
    I'm 5' - 8-1/2" (in the morning =]) standing directly beside his 6' - 7" ... damn.
    Then when he got back to it I was able to comment on and get his explanation of his right hand technique when playing slide - if you haven't watched him play side, do so; you'll witness some fascinating single-finger muting and alternate finger picking wizardry, which he explained was quite simply to accommodate playing fun slide in standard tuning.
    ... later on in a different area (inside the retail store) he passed by me, and said "You sound great" very enthusiastically. Literally made my day and then some... high praise from someone whose command of the instrument is so rare.
    Greg is very gracious and energetic and just enormously fun to be around and witness playing.
    A jam with him would have been the icing on the cake, but I likely would have frozen up even worse than I was while he was standing there watching...

the_Chris, G&L guy, fretless and 14 others like this.
  14. Steve_U1S

Oh, and many years ago, through an association with a fellow who was recording with Triumph (Rikk had left by then) - I was doing guitar work for him - I wound up being asked if I could do a rush emergency set-up / re-hab of a bass.
    Of course.
    He brought it over; it was Mike Levine's often-seen/heard off-white Jazz bass... wow!
    The kicker; he popped by my apartment to pick it up himself (!)

15. Steve_U1S

Another; back in the mid-80s (roughly) I was doing a small upstiars club show with a couple of good friends and a recently added bassist.
    The bassist had done some work with an artist he said we ought to try to meet, and he invited him to this show to check it out.
    He introduced us.
    I was playing my original Eddie 'Franky' home-brew guitar, and the bassist wanted his friend to check it out, so I put it in his hands.
    He played oddly, and was reading the body paint (for those that don't know; 3-colours of paint done in paint, tape up, paint and peel, then repeat fashion, so they come out rather 'textured' when doing it true Eddie fashion).
    "What the hell you got all over this?" He couldn't see it.
    I explained; he understood.
    Bassist wanted me to fire up the amp so he could play; we were very restricted on when we could start playing, so I couldn't do so.
    Too bad (see below)
    He checked us out; I don't recall what he had to say mind you...

Anyway, it seems like about 3 weeks later that fellow who played on my guitar so oddly was basically everywhere in the media.
    It was Jeff Healey (and again, for those that don't know, Jeff played guitar with it laying flat on his lap, with his fretting hand over the top).

16. orourke

orourke Member

Keith Richards and Ron Wood in the mid 70’s. I was buying a leather jacket at a fancy rock star store, I’d saved my money for months pumping gas. The shop keeper said he’d just got a call and the Stones were coming over and asked me if I wanted to hangout. A few minutes later Keith and Ron step out a nondescript station wagon with a couple of girls. I sat off to the side and kept my mouth shut but eventually I mumbled something to Keith and he said “Pleased to meet cha’”. And shook my hand, I was too star struck to say anything intelligible. It’s like 40 years ago, I’m still talking about it. I still have that jacket that I bought.

I’ve met a lot of legends since then, Mick Taylor, Leslie West, Johnny Thunders and Wayne Kramer and others, but that meeting beats them all.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Frank Zappa, Todd Rundgren, Barry Tashian of the Remains, John Mayall, all way back in the 60's in NYC. Most of my rock star meetings were arranged ahead of time. Bumped into Steve Stills at Trax in NYC. Met Roger McGuinn at a club in West Orange, NY.

fretless, macmax77 and 68dripedge like this.
  18. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

I’ve run into Rusty Cooley and Billy Gibbons a number of times here in Houston.

I also used to live near Frank Beard’s house, and would see him out and about occasionally.

Orm-D and Bankston like this.
  19. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

He did tell you to bugger off?

the_Chris, cutaway, fretless and 4 others like this.
  20. nowhere

nowhere Member

Rick Springfield, in a music shop in the 90's. Didn't recognize him at first - I was born too late and got into rock/pop too late for me to know any song of his but "Bruce" at the time.