Guitarists You Randomly Met

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jacklickson, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Jimi1983

Jimi1983 Supporting Member

Ricky Medlocke outside the old 98 Rock radio station in St Pete Florida in the 70s, extremely nice and gracious guy to some young high school kids. More recently, Rick Derringer in the buffet line at an Amish restaurant in Bradenton (friendly gent, and that little guy can eat!). Robbie Krieger at airport in New Hampshire last year (didn’t bother him). Paul Kantner and Jack Casady in St Pete the day of a KBC show (got Paul to sign my shirt, he wrote: “Dance With God, Paul Kantner”) and talked with Jack about jamming with Jimi on Voodoo Child. Not a guitarist, just a “fiddle player”, chatted with the great Itzhak Perlman and a bit with his family at a Sweet Tomatoes last year. Another “fiddler”, run into Robbie Steinhardt of Kansas at several concerts over the years. Met Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep before a charity music event, we talked Heep and alternative guitar tunings. Met Uli Jon Roth the day of his show in Orlando a few years ago as I was just trying to confirm venue location and he stepped outside for a moment. Very friendly and open talking music and philosophy. Also had a Skye guitar in his hands he let me check out. Dream come true for me as he is an all time fave.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    two different times, both in Westwood Music on a Saturday morning early, Bernie Louden and then Stephen Bruton. Nice guys, easy to talk to, just kinda normal.

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Holy hell, I'm not a fan boy and don;t care about meeting people for the most part but I would have to at least say something if I saw Tom fng Waits walk in a diner! Good on you for showing restraint and what a great story.

I can't think of one famous guitarist I've met randomly, other than the one time I was talking to Eric Gales outside before a show. An unplanned meeting I guess. Same for a few of other guitarists from bands I like that aren't hugely known but known enough. Oh, TM Stevens came to one of my shows once, that was cool. He high fived me on stage lol.

AprioriMark likes this.
  4. derekd

derekd Member

Is it considered stalking if it wasn't really random?

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

What was he doing in Louisiana?
    Didn't he write all their songs?

6. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

By definition

ntotoro and derekd like this.
  7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Eric Johnson at Guitar Rez music shop in Austin ('99).
    Rick Derringer , David Grissom , Johnny Hiland , Skunk Baxter , Joe B. and Ty Tabor walking around at Texas Guitar Shows. Maybe Guitar Shows are not a place considered for random meetings?

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I met Tony Peluso (lead guitar on "Goodbye to Love") in the winter of '72-'73 at Hewgley's Music on Henley Street in Knoxville, TN, when I was a very young teen. I had no idea who he was until events developed. More HERE.

I met Chet Atkins around the same time at Lynn's Guitars on Broadway and, once again, I had no idea who he was. He had a weekend home in Sneedville, TN, where many of my family lived. He had Lynn Clapp take delivery of his new guitars because Lynn's was the closest store. Lynn kept a couple of chairs in a nook near the back door for Chet to sit in and had cards asking people to not sit on them. Of course I did. I sat and talk with him for a while about playing guitar. As he left he said,"Well, you keep pickin' young man." This time store owner Lynn Clapp clued me in. "Do you have any idea who you were talking to?" I also didn't know that Chet was my cousin. Hilarious.

Bob

aliensporebomb and grausch like this.
  9. RJLII

RJLII Member

Johnny Hiland on the street in Nashville. Nice guy.

Gig Young likes this.
  10. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

1988 Chuck Levins I was there to pick up a Charvel model 6 ( I was 16 yrs old). Long story short they sold it before I got there and it was discontinued. My salesman smartly pushed me towards a brand new Fender Strat Plus they would do for the same price. Now it surely was a better guitar and deal but it wasn't a pointy Charvel

The bring out a spanking new guitar from the back, unbox it for me. Now, I'm paying attention to this incredible new Strat, not what's going on around me. The salesman looks up. Winks at me and hands MY new guitar to some guy hovering over me! I spun around to say WTF??? But immediately recognized he had handed my guitar to an interested Nils Lofgren He played it to my amazement fir 5 minutes, handed it to je and told me it was a great guitar, I should buy it I did.
    As a huge Springsteen fan growing up in the 80"s that was a cool experience for a 16 tear old me

11. ghostrider

ghostrider Silver Supporting Member

Joe Satriani

When I was 15 in a local guitar shop at the register paying for my first guitar, Joe walked in to buy some strings. I didn’t recognize him because he had just shaved his head. The guy ringing me up immediately said, “uh hold on a sec, let me help this guy.” He took care of that guy and he left. Then he asked me if I knew who that was. I said no. I knew who Joe Satriani was but didn’t recognize him in his new look. He pointed to a poster of him (with hair) and, sure enough, it was totally him.

I would have had him sign my axe if I had known!

12. itgoesto11

itgoesto11 Member

Pete Townshend in 1981. He, Mick Jagger and John Waite walked into Trax in NYC at 2am on a Tuesday night. We were a teenage band that had just finished a set. Townshend played my 20th Anniversary LP Custom through my Marshall 2104 (JMP combo). Before that experience, I never had the master volume above 3 or 4. Never used my tone or volume controls on the Les Paul. Watching Townshend use my gear, turning every knob on the amp up to 10, and controlling his volume with his picking dynamics and guitar volume, was an eye opening experience to say the least! Learned more in that session than in all the guitar lessons combined. Awesome. John Waite sang and was an arrogant ass. Overall a memorable night!

middlechainringguy and VJF like this.
  13. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

• Met a guy at a local Starbucks once who wanted to buy an SG I was selling, guy showed up turned out to be Bruce Kulick of KISS. He brought a little battery powered mini Marshall with him to try it out. Very nice guy, he's also a TGP member here so some of you might have dealt with him also as he likes gear just like the rest of us.
    • I've seen Kerry King from Slayer a few times since he lives local. Once in a video game store at the mall 20 years ago I said dude you look like Kerry King he's like, I am Kerry King there's not too many people that look like me. Saw him another time leaving Costco in a Toyota Camry, I thought, well that's not very metal at all, haha.
    • Chatted gear with Clint Lowery from Sevendust once at Disneyland. If anyone cares he confirmed that he used a Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom in his PRS. He was kind of shocked I even knew that, haha.

Layne-o, ntotoro and jacklickson like this.
  14. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

Johnny Ramone at a Burger King in Portland, OR. I said hi while he was waiting for his food. I went and sat back down, and when he got his, he came and sat with me.

Sardocasm, Omega, Layne-o and 4 others like this.
  15. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

A friend of mine was in a band with John Waite and says he’s a great bunch of guys lol

16. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

17. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

Walked into my favorite local guitar shop, dude dressed in golf duds wailing on a variety of guitars, really talented player...takes about STP’s Interstate Love Song and he ran through it, said he still likes to play that song from time to time.

In speaking with the clerk and I he mentioned having to meet Cheryl in Atlanta in a few weeks...I asked “Is that Cheryl Crow?” And he said “yes”...then I asked him to do me favor and he said “What’s that?” I said “ tell her to call me, it’s been months and I feel used.” He laughed and said “I’ll do that, take care.” And left.

I didn’t recognize the guy but came to find out it was Peter Stroud, super nice guy.

18. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I was there as well - standing right next to him as he walked around for a bit. Ha, ha small world.

stratzrus likes this.
  19. forearthbelow

forearthbelow Member

Uli Jon Roth when he played a bar here in Northern VA a few years ago - he couldn't have been nicer. I don't typically get starstruck, but that one was pretty momentous for me!

Vernon Reid in a small diner in Dallas, 1997. Chatted briefly and he was very nice, soft-spoken. I had tickets to go see LC that same evening, they were great.

Hank Shermann (Mercyful Fate) walking around D.C. in '93. I had tickets to go see MF that night at the Bayou. Didn't want to bother him (and was a shy kid).

Ian Mackaye (Fugazi, Minor Threat) at a show in D.C. in 98. Just exchanged greetings, didn't want to bother him as he was looking through records.

Blacky (Voivod, bassist) when he was working the merch table for Gorguts a few years back. He seemed playfully annoyed that I recognized him, but was absolutely cool about taking a pic with me (which I lost soon after thanks to my damn phone breaking!).

20. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

she's not a guitar player but i saw Carrie Underwood the other day at Whole Foods. And her legs.