GuitarPort, TonePort, Best Software...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BillyK, May 18, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I'd like to do some simple tracking on my PC for practice, for working on some creative ideas, etc.

I like the GuitarPort RiffTracker combo for it's ease of use, but I wonder if the TonePort with something like Cakewalk Guitar Pro would be a better combo for me. Can anyone compare these options?

Thanks!!

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

I use the Vox ToneLab. NO CPU load at all, and great sounds and tone up the wazoo! Plus, you can take it to gigs and rehearsals and run it through the PA. I haven't tried that yet, but I saw one band that used nothing but these, and they sounded great. Live I think I'd prefer an amp, but I love the no load on the CPU factor and the tone is great. Plus, since it has a tube in it, it actually feels like you are playing into a real amp. imho :)

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Scott! What software do you use for recording?

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

I started with GarageBand, but quickly moved to Logic Express. I love it. And I really do love the ToneLab. I don't have anything quite ready for review yet, but soon... The more I use it, the more I love it. It has a lot of effects, but I mostly record it for tone, then use the reverb and such in Logic. But the other day, I did use a chorus from the ToneLab, and it sounds good, too. I don't know why I did that, as I usually use the chorus in Logic as well, but it sounded good, so I used it. The only thing is now if I want to change it, I'd have to do another take.

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Ableton is looking good as well. I've still have to research Logic Express.

6. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

For painless multitrack recording and mixing, you have to look at Guitar Tracks Pro. Easiest ever!

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

I like Logic, first, because I came from garageBand, and all of my GB projects open in Logic. Plus I like the midi drum kits, since I have no drummer. Those kits sound pretty good if you program them well. There's a ton of synth stuff in there, as well, but so far I only have used a bit of Hammond organ, but may add some piano in the future.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Dan: I started my quest recently with Cakewalk GTP, but a number of players suggested Ableton for super ease of use. I'll have to circle back to check out GTP. When using GTP, how do you generate automated drum tracks?

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Billy,
    IF you are using Cakewalk, then obviously you have a PC and not a MAc. But as far as drums go in Logic, one of the things I like is that the midi is right there in the tracks, and you can edit it to your song as you see fit, and check your edits against the track right then. My experience with DAWs is GarageBand and Logic, so i don't know what these other apps offer, but I have used a drum machine with tape before, and I had to program the drums first, then play to them. What i do now, is get a very basic beat and use it as a click track, and basically ignore it except for tempo and fell, then I go in and edit it to fit my guitar tracks after I have played all of the accents, etc, so I can get it to fit just right. For me, no matter what i was going to use, THAT would be an important factor. I'd look for a DAW that has similar capabilities if you need drums from it.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Scott!
    -bk

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

FWIW, if you don't have a MAC, I bought my G4 450 tower a couple of years ago for maybe $450 on eBay, and upgraded the CPU to 1.2Ghz for another $200 (I think). The machine has served me well since. I'd love to have a new G5 dual processor, but this machine works well for me so far.
    Not sure how much help this is for you, but it is at least food for thought.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks again Scott. As a former multimedia developer of many years, there was a period of time (1964-1995) you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger Mac bigot than me. But I went to the dark side in 95 and haven't used a Mac since. I'd need a PC solution for sure, for recording.

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

Understood. Is there a PC version of Tracktion? I have heard a lot of folks say good things about the newest version.