Guitars and temperature/humidity

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soundhound, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

We've moved for a couple of years (from SoCal to outside of Atlanta) and I'm wondering about the temp and humidity in the room I'm using for my studio for my guitars. It's above the garage and so may not be insulated that well, and apparently not far from the heating unit in the attic. In addition the central heating/ac system in the house is a little odd, all working fine, but quirky. The room since starting to use the heat this fall is often about 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house when I have the door to the room closed (often).

It seems to be ranging from 68 degrees, to as much as 77, mostly hovering around 72 to 75. The humidity seems pretty low actually (from what I've been reading about guitar storage info) around 27% or so. Not sure what this all will be like once the Georgia (that's where we are for the next year or so) summer heat returns next year.

I've been keeping my guitars in the room, but in their cases and haven't taken them out yet. I'm wondering if it's okay to keep them here, take them out of their cases and keep them on stands?

Thanks!

2. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

We did a similar west to east move about 8 years ago. We moved from Southern CA to just Maryland. While we lived in Southern CA, I'd kept my guitars out of their cases on stands, and was doing the same when we moved to Maryland. We moved east in the spring, and I didn't have any issues with the increase in humidity (particularly in the summer) during the warmer months. However, when the weather changed one of my guitars - a Maton MS2000 STD which is sort of like a Les Paul - developed a pretty bad case of fret sprout. I had the fret edges filed back by a tech and the problem never name back. I also switched to keeping my guitars in cases when I wasn't playing them.

The thing with the Maton though, was that I purchased it in Singapore earlier in the year, so it ended up going from an extremely humid and warm climate to one that fluctuated a lot between warm/humid and cold/dry, so I'm not sure if the move from CA to MD was culprit.

My other electric guitars - some finished in poly and some finished in nitro - seemed to handle the changes in climate with no issues (mostly solidbody electrics). I also had an acoustic guitar, but that has always lived in its case when not being played.

So, the only real issue I had seemed to be related to drops in humidity. Good luck, and hope this helps.

3. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

4. Bertiman

Bertiman Supporting Member

If you keep your guitars in their cases, in a room that is comfortable for you, then your guitars should be just fine. I'm in the Northeast, in a big old house, with steam heat. I add sound hole humidification to my acoustics in the winter. On bad winters, I'll through a damp sponge in a holed ziplock bag into the electric cases as well.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I'm in a northern Atlanta suburb, moved into a new house this past March, and I have a guitar room that has minimal vent output. This means the room is hotter than the rest of the house in the summer and colder in the winter. I keep my guitars in their hardshell cases when not in use. Surprisingly, I have had no problems with tuning stability, drying, neck warping, etc. No electrical or otherwise problems with my amps or pedals either. I'm convinced the cases are critical.

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

I keep it at 45%. Living on the middle east coast, U.S. I have both a humidifier and dehumidifier. I've had fret sprout and cracking of an old acoustic before I started paying better attention. Get a little hygrometer. Even the little cheap ones are pretty good now. With a garage, I'd even try it in different parts of the space. It may have some inconsistency.

7. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Thanks all! I have a little battery powered temp/humidity gauge and it reads pretty consistently in the mid 20s for humidity. I was looking forward to having my guitars out on a rack. In Venice (where we really live:) I had to keep them in a closet in the house, my studio is in an unfinished renovated garage (though it does have a mini split for when it gets to cold/hot for humans) and so I didn't keep them out there.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep them in their cases. Life is cruel. :) Looking at humidifiers in the meantime, saw a few that can automatically regulate the humidity in the room.

this one only has warm/cool, not the ability to regulate the humidity seems.