Guitars in A Star is Born - Spoiler Alert

98G2PRU

Silver Supporting Member
This was a terrible movie in the 70s. I can’t see investing another 2 hours in this tired story on its 4 time around.

+

For anyone interested TCM is showing the James Mason/Judy Garland version tomorrow (Sunday Oct. 7th) at 230pm Eastern time, 1130am Pacific time, and 830am here in Hawaii.

rochell59

Silver Supporting Member
Loved the movie!

I REALLY liked the tone they got on the intro to “Pretty Woman.” Anyone have an idea what it was? Cranked Magnatone & 345?

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
Saw it last night with my wife, who almost never goes to movies. She was crying pretty bad, so it was a good one. Movie was beautifully done with a lot of great parts. If you watch the interviews with the cast making the rounds it seems like it's a movie that sincerely moved and changed them all, even Sam. The fact that a movie could affect such heavy hitters is interesting. YMMV.

krimson

Saw it today. I also agree. The music is good they had great guitar tones, as mentioned in that Pretty Woman scene. Definitely a movie you want to see in the theater. The silver screen and the top quality sound emerge you into the movie. My wife and I walked out without saying a word for a few minutes afterwards. Last time that happened was when we watched Titanic. Well worth that pint of blood I donated for the tickets. LOL

Lt_Core

Does anyone know the exact model of the red Gibson acoustic that Bradley Cooper plays in the movie?

standard24

This was a terrible movie in the 70s. I can’t see investing another 2 hours in this tired story on its 4 time around.

+

I saw it with my wife... It wasn't bad, but I'll never watch it again. Mainly a "chick flick". I'd rather see a rerun of "Green Acres".

Dan R.

Supporting Member
Took my wife to see this today. I didn't have high expectations, and it blew me away. Great acting and singing. I haven't seen any of the others mentioned so I can't compare them. That said, It was very well done and thought provoking. My respect for Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga went up a ton. Go see this .

rjpilot

Bradley Cooper gives his best Sam Elliot impersonation alongside Sam Elliot.:p

It was ok. A little long at times.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Just took the wife to see A Star is Born and it's a great movie with some good music. Bradley Cooper's character is playing an amazing looking Chris Cornell ES335 that caught my eye. I didn't realize it early in the movie but it really was an ode to Chris Cornell. Anyone spot any other cool guitars.

Side note Willie Nelson's son is in the movie as the guitarist in Bradley band.

bPZWuK

The guitar is likely a ‘64 RI ES-345 in drab green. I own the blue (no bigsby):

aKTOW5f.jpg

Definitely not a Cornell. Pickups, varitone and inlays tell the story.

Ps, loved the movie!

Turbo Gerbil

Oh, this movie is not based on the 1974 movie. It just so happens to have the same title because that is a common expression. Watch the original and compare it. No similarities. How many Evil Within movies are there out there. It's just a common expression.

actually all the versions do have some similarities, and the 74 version is certainly the springboard for this one. In this one they flipped the script a bit and Bradleys character is much more sympathetic while Gaga's is much less naive that previous versions. The music is great.

And yes, that guitar is pretty sweet even though normally I hate bigsbys.

MartinPiana

Silver Supporting Member
4 out of 5 stars. Excellent acting, very good screenplay. A couple key surprises would have been more convincing with a little foreshadowing, even though most everything else was strongly foreshadowed.

What was the acoustic guitar Cooper played early, in the transvestite joint? The soundhole looked like a Ferrington....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom