Guitars similar to Teles but with a slightly different flavor?

stratchamp57

Supporting Member
So I've really come to love teles and the way they sound, the simplicity of them, and just the rawness and punch they deliver to cut through a mix that I don't get with a strat. I'm just wondering what other guitars out there would also have these qualities, but with a slightly different flavor to compliment my tele. Something with that same simplicity, rawness, acoustic richness, and punch to cut through a mix and sound great no matter what amp you play it through. Maybe something in the same vain as Teles but with P90's or Humbuckers?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Schlep

Trinehart and Dewey Decibel have given GREAT options. Other exist, but these - as a tonal base - are where I would be looking. All Tele-ish with body and balls.

If you made it past that visual, keep reading ; )

I own a tele as well as a Hamer Special (P90s) (think Gibson), and have owned and ASAT Classic.

The ASAT Classis (most traditional version of ASAT). Articulate with more push than a tele. Personally I would play one of these over a Les Paul... come to think of it... I have. Never owned a Lester. The MFD pickups are very versatile; Leo's own 'improvement' over traditional tele pickups.

The Gibby options are classics... Mahogany slab with P90s... ROCK and ROLL. Shorter scale length and P90s can give you some growl. With the right pickups, you get piano like response too. i use Harmonic Designs, but also own Gibby P90s. Harmonic Designs have a braoder response than the Gibbys which are mid centric.

Good luck. You are headed in the right direction.

Craig

Jayyj

Supporting Member
Les Paul Special gets my vote!

Rickenbackers are good at cutting through mixes as well though, I picked up a 360 recently and it's great for busy tracks with lots of pads going on where I need a part to cut through.

JELIFISH19

PRS Vela
Gibson SG/LP Special or Junior
Gibson Firebird

I don't find Fender scale lengths with P-90s or humbuckers get you that Tele goodness that you describe. They end up being more polite than those pickups in a Gibson scale length.

jvin248

Tele Esquire-H with a 4-way switch controlling individual bobbins for neck/parallel/bridge/humbucker.

A Strat with an Armstrong Mod (second tone pot blends from SSS to HSH) is another option. A Strat started out as a Tele with added contours. Move your volume knob to the first tone pot hole and that is the location of the regular Tele tone pot. Then you can pick from saddles to neck on your Strat just like a Tele (and just like Hendrix did on his Strats since all the controls were at the top of the guitar and not in the way of his picking).

If you have a classic Tele SS setup then swap in a 4-way switch to get a humbucker tone.

bettset

my 1983 tele elite......it was way ahead of its time. one meg pots.......i can turn down and keep the high end. and the tbx control makes lotsa things happen :munch

Waxhead

So I've really come to love teles and the way they sound, the simplicity of them, and just the rawness and punch they deliver to cut through a mix that I don't get with a strat. I'm just wondering what other guitars out there would also have these qualities, but with a slightly different flavor to compliment my tele. Something with that same simplicity, rawness, acoustic richness, and punch to cut through a mix and sound great no matter what amp you play it through. Maybe something in the same vain as Teles but with P90's or Humbuckers?

Anyone have any suggestions?
The closest thing to a Tele is a Strat.
Have you tried a HSS Strat

Tony Done

My first thought was ASAT. I have an LP Sp, but it is a bit heavy for my tastes at 9 lb. Fender had a nice Modern Player (Chinese) 2*P90 tele, but I think it was discontinued.