Guitars similar to Teles but with a slightly different flavor?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratchamp57, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:40 PM.

1. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

/Thread

dewey decibel likes this.
  2. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

Knaggs Choptank

Can get them with a traditional T-style pickup config but were originally designed as an SSS guitar which is kinda cool. Loads of other options and definitely worth a look.

3. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

As a couple others have mentioned, a Les Paul Special with P90s really does get a tele on steroids vibe. I would have never believed someone telling me that a few years ago, but owning a LP special made it very apparent the two guitars share some tonal ground.

4. Gms

Gms Supporting Member

To me, the answer was in this post: Gretsch Jet.

9fingers and Cousin like this.
  5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

If you want to keep the Tele shape, a couple of guitars come to mind. First is the recent Troublemaker Tele, which is a dual humbucker Tele with a Les Paul vibe. Another is an older Fender, the Tele Jr., which was a mahogany bodied Tele with a set mahogany neck and I think two P90's. There have been a couple of other Fender Teles with humbuckers/P90's that are Gibson-like, I don't remember all the model names but they are out there.
    Al

6. musicman1

musicman1 Member

EBMM Albert Lee gtr gives a stratty-tele kind of vibe. EBMM Valentine gtr does a tele-335 thing. Wiring a strat so you can get neck p/up w bridge p/up mimics some tele.

jrw32 likes this.
  7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

For me, the Rickenbacker 360 with High Gains offers a more refined approach. You get similar tonality, but it’s a bit more even and balanced - less strident trebles and a good output so you won’t need a compressor. It’s also larger than a Tele, so you may want to look for something like a 620 to get a more solid vibe.

Gretsches fit the bill nicely, too. If you like smaller body sizes the Duojet will work nicely. Dynasonics have a bit more twang than Ric High Gains and more output than a standard Tele single coil so I prefer them.

If you want more of a humbucker with a bit more clarity on the high end and a round low end than a Filtertron may be a good match.

P90 equipped guitars work well alongside Teles as well. The tone is fatter and darker with a lot more mids, but that makes it cut in its own way.

Gms likes this.
  8. Daves Not Here Man

Daves Not Here Man Member

Came here to say this. Check them both out. As a tele owner, these 2 guitars have pleasantly surprised me as being in the same ballpark every time I pick one up.

jrw32 and musicman1 like this.
  9. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Come to think of it the original EBMM Steve Morse is in the highly modified tele range too. It was an extension of steves actual multi pickup tele. The body is essentially a double cutaway tele

Daves Not Here Man likes this.
  10. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Agree!

11. M.C. Frescher

M.C. Frescher Member

Can't go wrong with a Gretsch. My Jet twangs like tele, roars like a Gibson. Floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. I actually fooled someone once in thinking it was a lapsteel.

9fingers, Cousin and Gms like this.
  12. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

13. jrw32

jrw32 Member

You’ve basically described the EBMM Valentine. It scratched the Tele itch & then some for me.